Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Moving a cat to a multi pet household advice needed

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Anna1411, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Anna1411

Anna1411 PetForums Newbie

Hi, new to this site and would appreciate any/all advice. My cat is a 2 year old male British blue. I have lived on my own with him all of his life. I have no other pets. He is an indoor cat. I am having to move back in with my family for circumstances out of my control. They have pets aleady; 2 shit Tzu dogs who can be lively but are friendly with cats and other animals and a male cat of their own who all get on. The male cat already in the household is quite laid back. My concern is how introductions will go. Would appreciate any advice on how to manage this. I have been advised to keep him in my bedroom for a bit and slowly introduce over time?

My other concern is that I have kept my cat indoors as I currently live near a busy road. Apart from one escape which ended up in him returning a few hours later he has not been outdoors. He is quite a confident and inquisitive cat and i know he would love to go out and explore. My issue is that My family tend to leave their back door open for the dogs most of the day and windows are open almost permanently, leaving chance for my cat to get out. I have asked them not to do this whilst i settle my cat into his new environment but I know they may forget whilst I'm at work and my cat may get out. I will try and slowly transition my cat to the outdoors but am worried with all of the stress from moving to a new environment, being introduced to other animals that he will take the opportunity to escape and not come back. Would really appreciate any/all advice on how to manage this. I want to keep him as safe as possible. Unfortunately I can't avoid moving back with my family.

Thanks
    Anna

2. Silly cats and dogs

Maybe try keeping him in a confined room with a couple of toys while your out at work and when your home spend time with him and swap scents between all the pets so they can all get used to the new smells then slowly start introducing them. One at a time will probably be best as your cat won’t be overwhelmed. And when your at home introducing them close the windows and doors

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice