Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Moved House - Cat next door hates mine

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by kelike, Mar 23, 2011.

1. kelike

kelike PetForums Junior

Any advise would be great....we lost our poor little kitty Twiglet late last year and Noodles our other kitty took time to ajust and is now ok, loving all the attention from us, however we moved house to a quieter place and there is a big male cat next door who has gone for her 3 times now..she has become scared and only sits at the back door. Will it pass or will he keep trying to get at her, she allowed him to come close and rolled on her back to let him be boss but then he lauched and clawed her taking with him a lot of furr!!! am so sad for her, she seems depressed, i was wondering if another kitty would be ok to play with indoors too??
    Thanks
    Kelly

2. claw

claw PetForums Newbie

Get some feliway odur releaser... It's not cheap but calmed our cats nerves when we moved to a new house...

The cat next door will probably be an ongoing problem in the early days as they are very territorial by nature... Eventually though, your kitty will make a mark in the neighbourhood I'm sure of it...

3. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Some cats are more territorial than others.

When my scabby neighbours moved in, and brought a bunch of cats with them, Merson didn't bother his whiskers with the girlie one. Had a sniff when they were around and then carried on his merry way.

Oscar, on the other hand, would go mental and chase them off the garden, off the bathroom roof, off anywhere that he was.

Both of the boys have been done, it is just their different personalities. So the dude next to you might settle down or might not... :(

I do understand that is very sad for your little girl though & you just want to protect her. Is she desperate to go outside or do you think she would be just as content staying indoors? I am a big believer in pairs when it comes to cats. Especially in homes where the slaves are out at work all day as they are company for each other. I think Noodles would probably like having a chum as she was used to having one with Twiglet. What age is Noodles?

4. kelike

kelike PetForums Junior

Hi

Thanks for the info. Noodles is 17 months old, the brat cat next door is 4 years old, he lives with another cat quite nicely so his mummy says so hopefully he will learn that Noodles doesn't want any of his turf. She hates to use her litter and if we are out she plays like mad but any sudden movement or loud noise - she scarpers indoors with furr all sticking up! I will try some feliway for her, see if it helps. She would love to be wondering around outside, i am sort of glad she is a little scared as i think it will stop her wondering, but i certainly would like to know i can leave her out all day as she would just chill in the garden, but if it means the other cat will attack her each time she will be stuck indoors and will hate it.

5. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear this problem. Hope You little Girl can have peace in the Garden. I've heard of Feliway before so you might want to give it a try, Hope it works out for you,s. Keep us posted.

6. gobubbles

gobubbles PetForums Junior

I've been having a similar problem with Elsa, next door's cat, who's a dominant lady cat and hates my Buffy. Now I've discovered that Elsa is not spayed, hence the aggressive behavior. We've advised the neighbor to get her spayed, as she also sprays indoors when stressed or in heat. The neighbor thought Elsa was too old for the op - do'h! Buffy is however undeterred, despite the fact that she's only 9 months old and Elsa about 18 months old. She's made friends with lots of nice local cats, mostly neutered i males must say, and loves the garden too much to give it up for Elsa! Every time we see the fiend in our garden, we spray her with a water gun, and now we rarely see her at all.

7. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

putting her used litter outside will let next door's kitty get her scent and learn this is her new stomping ground, I would supervise her outside until he's gotten used to the idea

bet you within a few weeks they are tolerating each other, a few months and they are thick as thieves

8. kelike

kelike PetForums Junior

Thick as thieves ha ha i like it...Really hope some good comes of this. I let her out in the mornings when Suzie (even though he is a male cat lol) isn't about. Noodles decided to go sit on the very spot where Suzie normally sits, on top of the fence, and was starring hard at our neighbours back door, almost asking for trouble. I hope that they can come to an agreement that they can live in peace and each have their own garden to play in...We really wanted another kitten soon and are put off now thinking that the neighbours cat will seriously hurt it. Obvipously Noodles would need to accept it too, do any of you have first hand experience at introducing a new kitty to an older cat you've had for a year??

9. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

When I first got Merson, I already had two boy cats: Oscar age 3 & Slugger age 9. Merson & Oscar have never hit it off and, to this day, tend to tolerate each other. They are not best chums. Slugger, on the other hand, adored Merson and the two would often sleep & play together right up until Sluggie left us 2 years ago.

I have come to realise that Oscar is not really keen on other cats although he loves humans. He will chase other cats even if those cats are in their own gardens!! Merson will allow other cats in the garden but is not usually happy about it. And he has a major sulk if I talk to them... :eek:

The point of this is that cats are like humans - some are more sociable than others. Noodles is still young enough to adapt to another kitty so I think you would be ok.

One last point - many years ago we had a big brute of a tom-cat arrive in the neighbourhood. He got into a scrap with Sluggie & caused him some injuries. 2 days later, Brutus appeared again on top of the garden shed. Next thing you knew, both Oscar & Merson were also on the shed roof, side by side, staring back at the brute. There was a moment of 'face-off' between the three of them & then Brutus did a U-turn and was never seen again. My neighbours (who also witnessed this) & I are convinced that Oscar & Merson were telling the brute "You mess with our bro again mate and you get the two of us after you. You fancy your chances? Go ahead Punk... Make my Day!!!" :D :D

So, if you get another kitty, then it & Noodles can gang up on Suzie and sort him out!! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice