Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Moved house and cat struggling

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Rpuddle, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Rpuddle

Rpuddle PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

New to the forums here but hoping someone can help. We moved house 3 months ago with our cat who is 4 years old and our kitten who is 9 months old.

They were getting along fine at our old house where our cat had spent all 4 years of her life, but things really didn't go well with the move. The new house is just around the corner from the old place and we kept them both in the new house for 2 weeks after moving to help them settle.

Pretty soon after the move our cat began hissing and being pretty unpleasant to our kitten. Pretty soon after that we started letting her outside for a certain amount of time and she would scarper out of the garden very quickly. She would still come back everyday but it's been getting steadily worse now to the point where she barely comes back and I have to go and find her holed up in our old garden or in our old neighbours shed.

What do you think the next step is here to make her feel more at home at the new place? Keep her locked in for another period of time? Spread butter on her paws (like so many have suggested to me previously)? I'm at a loss and worried that she's never going to consider our new place as home.

Thanks for any help you can give

Jon

2. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

As you haven't moved far, you're going to have to keep them in for a lot longer than two weeks or they will just go straight back to their old territory (as you are finding out!), especially as the older one is not happy with the new house. I'd suggest at least two months, possibly more. Butter is an old wives tale, and cats are lacose intoleran

As to the unpleasantness between the cats, you need to try and identify why the older cat is upset with the kitten. It could be redirected agression due to the house move, it could be the new house provides conflict points and your kitten is annoying your older cat - particularly if the new house is smaller than the old one so there is less space to go around. There are far better behavioural experts on here than me, but you need to keep an eye on how and when conflicts start so you can figure out how you could prevent them.

Incidentally, have you got any cat trees? They can be very useful in providing vertical space and extra territory :)

Forester, Rpuddle and chillminx like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice