Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

mouses tumour

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by chimstbs, Jan 9, 2021.

1. chimstbs

chimstbs PetForums Newbie

My mouse has had a tumour growing since october, but in the past 2 weeks she's gained 2 more. Her previous cage mate had a tumour too and she was going to get surgery to remove it but unfortunately died from cardiac arrest right before. I want to put her down..I feel so guilty for letting it grow but i'm just scared and emotional. I looked at it about a few minutes ago and the main one looks sore and pink..like she's been picking at it. I keep crying i feel so guilty but i feel i'd look cruel taking her to the vets with now 3(?) tumours. She still eats, drinks and runs around but i feel horrible looking at her in that state. please give me advice.

2. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums VIP

It's best to pts a day early than a day too late. If they're bothering her I think it's time to have a think about her quality of life.
    It's the last act of kindness you can do. Speak to a vet and get their view as well.

A few days ago I had to have my dog PTS from a brain tumor. It's human to want more time and to wonder why. While I hate making decisions, it's the quality of life not the quantity.

It's ok to cry and be sad. She's not just a mouse, she's a your baby. Please don't feel guilty, the fact that you are thinking this way shows how much you love and care about her and she knows it.

Thea_SRA27, Tiggers and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Unfortunately, rats and mice seem to be prone to tumours and their lives tend to be short anyway, so there’s nothing to feel guilty about.

I did have surgery on one of my rats to remove a lump but she quite quickly got more and had to be pts anyway.

I would take your mouse on Monday and have her pts so you know she isn’t in pain.

Thea_SRA27, Tiggers and Engel98 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice