Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Mouse with anxiety

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Morgan Bobo, May 30, 2019.

1. Morgan Bobo

Morgan Bobo PetForums Newbie

Hi I'm new to the forum, and my roommate and I got a couple pet mice. Little did we know the pet store had incorrectly sexed one of the mice and there was a male in the tank. One of the mice we got was very early in pregnancy and we couldn't tell when we got her. So three weeks later we were the proud owners of 3 new pinkies, 1 boy 2 girls. They're all grown and weaned, but we decided to keep one of the females, and sold the male and one female. Once they were about 3 weeks old we seperated the male, the females were all kept together, and about a week ago sold one female and the male. Hopper (the baby we kept) has lost almost half of her weight and all of her whiskers are pulled out, saw this last night. We researched and saw that it could be barbering so we seperated her but I'm almost thinking it could be anxiety since barbering usually also includes bald patches of fur. She also was still sleeping in the little group with the other two females, they weren't chasing each other either. If it's barbering I think we can help calm her, but if its anxiety what can I do to help calm her and hopefully put her back in a group.

26741.jpeg 26742.jpeg 26744.jpeg

#1 Morgan Bobo, May 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 30, 2019
  2. AnnB

AnnB PetForums Member

I think there's more going on than just the bald patches, she doesn't look very well and I would urge you to get her to a vet. Does she sneeze or make any noises at all? I'm wondering if it could be a respiratory infection? I also think she'd be better off with the group than on her own.

3. Morgan Bobo

I agree with you. She actually improved after she was seperate, gained weight and her ears were perky again. About a day after we seperate her our other mouse was missing the whiskers on half of her face. She was in the tank with the one we were assuming is pulling the whiskers out. That is now confirmed so we put her in the tank with the baby that had all of her whiskers pulled out. When I went and checked on them last night the baby had lost weight again. I also don't think there is a vet that will see mice near me.

4. Morgan Bobo

She hasn't been sneezing, but when we held her for a few minutes after she was taken out of the tank she chirped a couple times, but other than that she hasn't.

5. AnnB

AnnB PetForums Member

Chirpy noises could definitely indicate a respiratory infection (very common in mice). If their breathing is laboured they tend not to eat very well and can lose weight. Some mice manage quite well with a respiratory infection, I have one at the moment who makes loads of chirpy snuffling sounds but she's thriving and is overweight. I'm more worried about your little one who in the photos looks rather sorry for herself. If you don't have access to a vet for some antibiotics, try giving her a bit extra protein in her diet (a mealworm every couple of days perhaps). Be warned though, she may go downhill and not survive.

What bedding do they have? Paper bedding or types of bedding that don't produce much dust tend to be better than wood shavings for mice.

6. Morgan Bobo

We use recycled paper bedding that's supposed to be 99.9% dust free. They're currently in a regular glass tank that has levels so they can be closer to the mesh top. I'm working on making a better enclosure that has more air flow.

7. Morgan Bobo

We use recycled paper bedding that's supposed to be 99.9% dust free. They're currently in a regular glass tank that has levels so they can be closer to the mesh top. I'm working on making a better enclosure that has more air flow.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice