Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Moulting / shedding

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Temporally_Loopy, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Temporally_Loopy

Temporally_Loopy PetForums Member

Yup, me again. This might sound stupid but I've never been through this before as my previous kitten was around during a different time of year.

I just wondered whether this is the right time of year for cats to be shedding their winter coats - or at least to be shedding more than usual. Because of the problems that Bertie has been having with hair loss on his face, I want to make sure that the extra fur he is shedding at the moment (not a lot but certainly more than usual) is not something to worry about.

Thank you.

2. Gwen9244

Gwen9244 PetForums VIP

Our lot are definitely shedding their winter coats now its getting a bit warmer.

Temporally_Loopy likes this.
  3. Yorkshirecats

Yorkshirecats PetForums Member

Both mine have started to shed the past 2 weeks or so

4. Temporally_Loopy

Thank you both for your responses. You have confirmed what I assumed to be the case but just wanted to make sure.

Gwen9244 likes this.
  5. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

Yes the hoovering season is upon us here too

6. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

The hair is back as soon as I've vacuumed!!! Yes here too lol!

7. Citruspips

Citruspips PetForums VIP

Me too Jango brought up the biggest hairball I've ever seen :eek: I nearly took a pic but it was so gross I think even @huckybuck would have been shocked :D

8. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

Iv was giving it some yesterday in the hacking department. They are both less ravenous which means tums might be fur filled

Temporally_Loopy and Citruspips like this.
  9. Elaine b37

Elaine b37 PetForums Senior

yes I now have nearly more cat hair on me than Cody (I am currently trying to discretely pick it off my chair at work!) we have managed to avoid the fur balls so far

bluecordelia likes this.
  10. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

I'm hoovering all year round with 6 moulting pets especially a black Labrador :eek: but Libby is throwing it off something awful! My Dyson is permanently left out nowadays!

11. huckybuck

I need photos lol the thread is lagging!!

12. Temporally_Loopy

Oh no, not hairballs - I've never experienced one of those! Although I think I might be soon - two nights ago Bertie suddenly started making a hac-hac-hac noise (whilst sitting on my Bose cd player) so he was promptly plomped onto the bed and I shoved a tissue under him just in case as I thought he was going to be sick. Sorry, but changing the bed is one thing, getting yuck out of the CD player - probably impossible, and would amount to a very expensive vomit! :Vomit (For some reason, probably because it has a flat top and is warm, Bertie loves sitting on this particular piece of machinery.)

Do I gather that the hac-hac-hac noise could be a preliminary to an eventual hairball? He certainly hasn't actually been sick yet but has had two of these sessions. With any luck it will be whilst he is at the vets on Friday rather than tomorrow when we are visiting my parents for lunch. "Grandad" won't be amused :Grumpy:Grumpy

bluecordelia likes this.
  13. huckybuck

It sounds like it could be.

When mine are brewing it starts a few days before. Sometimes they get a bit quiet and grumpy but usually still eat well and toilet well.

It does tend to coincide with moulting and more grooming than usual.

bluecordelia likes this.
  14. Temporally_Loopy

Ahh, that describes him to a T at the moment - grumpy and quiet. He's even taken himself to bed (my bed) which he never does until I go to bed myself. I went looking for him an hour or so ago and found him laying on the pillows. He's definitely been eating and doing other things as usual, but hasn't seemed to want to play for the last few days. Even the new toys that came yesterday didn't really interest him. Oh well, he'll be at the vet on Friday for his "little operation".

bluecordelia likes this.
  15. huckybuck

Hope that is all it is - but mention to the vet when he goes in tomorrow just in case it is something else. You could also consider running pre op bloods prior to the op if you think he is a bit under the weather.

16. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

I'm covered in cat fur after grooming.

bluecordelia likes this.
  17. Lola & Pippa's Mummy

Lola & Pippa's Mummy PetForums Newbie

Yup, Lola has started shedding her winter coat !:Cat

18. Temporally_Loopy

Am glad I'm not the only one covered in fur today. I groomed Bertie for about an hour this evening whilst he was asleep and I couldn't believe the amount of fur that was being shed - left in a loose pile, rather than squashed up, it's about the size of my fist. It seemed as though every brush stroke loosened more hair. I'm sure that if I brushed him now I'd get another load.

Is this what it's normally like? Am so pleased to have at least removed some of it, a pretty horrible thought that it could have ended up in his tummy.

19. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

I've spent the last hour brushing my lot including my Labrador :Jawdrop the birds won't have to spend hours sourcing nesting materials now! Thank goodness for a windy day! I've also hoovered twice today as it's everywhere!

20. huckybuck

How did Bertie get on today???

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice