Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Motor oil on cats fur

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by 3moggies, Jul 16, 2019.

1. 3moggies

3moggies PetForums Junior

one of my cats has come home with oil on her, she’s completely fine no scuffed nails or injuries. I believe she’s just brushed against it under a car. She has a patch on her head, one of her front paws where she’s tried to clean it and her tail.

Does anyone know the best way to remove it?

2. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

I'd phone the vet right away as she has been grooming it off. They will probably best advise on cleaning her too.
    Just as an aside I have a bottle of cat shampoo and a lampshade collar just in case this ever happens.
    I think human shampoo is too harsh for cats, though baby shampoo should be alright.

saartje likes this.
  3. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Don't let her lick it. Cut off the fur which is oily and wash the fur with vegetable oil and rinse it thoroughly

4. 3moggies

3moggies PetForums Junior

Thanks both for you replies. I have used oil to remove the majority of the motor oil which has worked, cut away anything I couldn’t get off and used some warm water to remove the excess oil that was on her fur.

I now have an unamused cat feeling very sorry for herself :oops:
    0D355638-BC96-45FB-A69C-396C8C5B7025.jpeg

5. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

Oh bless - she does look sorry for herself !

One of my cats once fell into a large hole being dug in a neighbours garden prior to them installing a pond - as we lived in clay based area he came out looking as though he had rolled in the contents of a baby's nappy :eek: It took me quite a while (and a very large towel) to get him into the bathroom sink to rinse all the clay off - he didn't talk to me for the best part of a week :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Loren95, moomoowawa and chillminx like this.
  6. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat Slave to an AcroCat

Poor kitty! It's for the best though

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice