Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

motivation to breed

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by DevilDogz, Aug 6, 2009.

1. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

What are peoples opinions on breeding and not keeping a pup..No matter if its show/working or pet bred!

I know many of you have expressed the opinion that one of your main reasons for breeding is so that you can keep a pup to run on..But i have also seen that litters have been born and the breeder has not kept a puppy back.

Is it essential to breed with the intention of keeping a pup back from a litter?

I know sometime the breeders doesnt get what they have planned to in the litters but the intension to keep a pup was there from the start..
    Where as others i have seen have no intension of keeping a pup from day one!

So what are your thought's on these breeders!?Are they good breeders or just in it for the money!

2. dimkaz

dimkaz PetForums VIP

hi,
    wow, great question there....makes me go back a bit!
    it is impossible to generalise!

you have to consider case by case, and even then there are reasons, these usually are not disclosed or only partially true, being of a personal nature.

from my experience (as a return breeder) as i had a male dobie (with my dad) and we used him at stud...we merely did that to let the dog enjoy himself as he was a "... De Montespino" pure blood and we took the pup only if we liked what was produced and could keep in for while before placing with some friend (no money were exchanged as we did that purely for pleasure) but we always followed the litters (and their registration with the Italian equivalent of the UK KC called ENCI) and the placement of the puppies.

as of present days (20 odd years after that) as "return breeder" i am concentrating on of F1 neoXDDB -> F2 neos, as neos are great dogs and used to be around them as kid - with corsos and mastini abbruzzesi...(Neapolitan Mastiffs...before they became the monsters that are today with all that superfluous skin...etc etc..but do not want to start on that...) anyway, i am looking at healthy puppies with the characteristics of the mastiffs (neo and ddb from the most varied genetic background) of sound temperament...well it is always a bet, an informed bet, but if parents are healthy and sound, and not in anyway related, then the pups are likely to be healthy and sound as well, with the correct upbringing. having said that, i can confirm that i am going to keep one (two originally, but they are all girls so i'm keeping only 1...), and will probably breed again as i like what i am seeing.

most breeders do this for the passion of seeing the bitch blossoming in the great carrier of life that they can be, and produce litters that might (or might not) go as planned as per course, characteristics etc... the final end is however to produce great puppies, healthy, of sound temperament etc... and whether keeping one or not is of secondary importance as they place their pups in capable hands (through known people) and are always in contact with the new owners...

i also know of show dogs breeders that are mostly concerned about the look of the offspring and how they conform to the breed standards. as these are usually professionals and to same extent have the backing of the their breed club, i suppose that keeping a pup to show would make more sense than selling the whole litter (and if they don;t keep the pup, well, probably there is something wrong with the litter or with the breeder ...ie. lack of space in their kennel...).

professional breeders then "produce" litters to sell them on and keeping whatever they assume or presume have the potential to become good breeding stock...on this practice there are reservations of ethical nature but, again, if done with passion and with the utmost care for the canines along the whole line from breeding to caring to placements of the pups, i don't see any problem...

i would go on applying the same reasons to all possible cases and combination of cases, but then again it would be just like lining up all the possible reasons someone breeds and then keep some pups or sell the whole litter. each and every case would carry its own reasons...and most of the time are inscrutable...

is this answering your question or confusing even more?
    :)
    d

3. borderer

borderer Guest

its up to them what they do its there business:smilewinkgrin::D

4. Molly's Mum

Molly's Mum PetForums VIP

Maybe what I'm about to say is going to upset a few people but it's just how I feel and solely my opinion.....

I cannot understand breeding a litter and not keeping a pup; it was the major factor of me having a litter with Molly. It has been heartbreaking enough seeing the other pups move on to their new families.

I would have to question the reason behind having a litter and purposely not keeping a pup and probably come to the conclusion that is was financial.

5. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

lol...Trust you...xxxx ;) :D

6. dimkaz

dimkaz PetForums VIP

which one would you choose? or better what do you consider in making the choice of keeping that particular one instead of the other(s)?

:)

7. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

Do you keep a pup out of every litter you have?

Is a question i would like to ask

8. Molly's Mum

Hi, that's a really cool question, I'll try to answer it as best I can, I have chosen Tia from the litter (you can see her photo's on Molly's thread), this decision wasn't instant and has been made over the period of 8 weeks. The reason for choosing her...... she has beautiful lines, a good strong build and is quite a looker. These of course are only my opinions and of course we all take a chance when choosing a pup, although whatever happens she is my girl and I love her to bits. If I am extremely lucky she will do well in the ring but hey if she doesn't then that is fine as well as like I said she is my girl.

Before the litter was born I would of put money on me having a dog not a bitch but something has drawn me to Tia and I am blessed to have her.

Hope that answers your question :p:p

noushka05 likes this.
  9. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

My only reason to breed is to keep a pup back for showing. If I think there is more than one that could be show quality then I will run them on and then decide which one to keep at a later date and hopefully find a show home for the other(s)

10. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

I Totally agree with this post!! x

Molly's Mum likes this.
  11. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Every litter apart from one yes we have kept a pup out of....and we would like to think we will keep one from every other litter we have :)...our breed is a bit different to other breeds with the hairless and the puff.you dont always get what you plan for!:)

the litter we didnt keep one from was from a litter last year and we bred to get a hairless there was no hairless in the litter and all the puff had homes booked so with that litter no we didnt!

Just to add we only breed when thinking of keeping somethign for our selves..
    Why do you ask

#11 DevilDogz, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2009
  12. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

My Lab bitch and cocker bitch are good working stock my lab is very good at picking up Badger is only a baby So not shaw about her yet, She's doing well so far. But i won't breed from them because i don't no enough about breeding:eek: So prefer to leave it to those who no what they're doing;)

13. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

The question was not just for but for everyone who breeds
    I have had 4 litters and keep one back from every other litter

14. Molly's Mum

Well there is no way would I have a litter and not keep at least 1 pup.

I would be very interested in hearing from breeders who don't keep a pup as it why they decide to have a litter.

15. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

I thought you aimed it at just me lol...

16. kerrybramble

kerrybramble PetForums VIP

I can see what some of you are saying, but with some breeders, it would be impossible to keep a puppy from every single litter, what about the lists and lists of people waiting for a well bred puppy- it is a bit harsh just to say well if you want to be on my list you have to wait a few years because i dont want a puppy at the moment, and the people waiting will just end up going to a puppy farmer or something because as much as some people want to do the right thing, they aren't that patient!

but i can understand what you are saying because as much as i am on about the prospective owners, the breeders are gaining from this!

x

17. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

any one wanting a decent puppy imo would wait..and if they didnt then they wouldnt be worthy enought to have one of my babies...

People shouldnt just breed because of the people they have on there waiting list...I wouldnt breed just because i had 10+ people on my list i would only breed with the intension of keeping a pup myself!

18. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

If there is demand for their pups in particular (and they have the health tests have shown etc) then I see no problem with not keeping a pup.

19. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

oh i agree with this aswell:D x

20. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I always keep at least 1 pup out of a litter.

Some one on here a newbie who has still not posted had a go at me for saying if Freyja had of had pups I would only keep one if she had had 4 pups. She said I was breeding to make money. I explained to her that I was breeding the litter at her breeders request and she was having 2 pups 1 was already booked so I needed 4 for me to keep 1.

I sold a girl an experienced whippet owner 2 sisters. They are litter sisters to my Angel(not) and are now 2 1/2 years old. 1 of her bitches has pups well I say pups they are 1 year old at the end of this month. The bitch was mated at 16 months and had pups by the time she was 18 months. The girl didn't even keep a pup out of the litter she sold them all and advertised them on a hunting site as working dogs.:cursing: I have heard she is after a dog to use on the other bitch but no one who shows in our area will let them use their dogs as they know what she did.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice