Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

motherdog not taking care of puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Amyone, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Amyone

Amyone PetForums Newbie

I took in two pregnant dogs and the first dog had her litter of 4 last Sunday where 2 did not make it but the other two are doing good and she is a great mom. The other dog had her puppies today 1 was deformed and didn't make it the other one is doing good but when she had the puppies she did not try to get them out of the sack or chew the cord. Infact she would run around and roll around while the puppies was attached so I had to step in and get them out of the sack and cut the cord. She was in awful pain and I tried to help and calm her but she ran rolled and screamed. I called the vet and the vet told me not to bring her in during active labor. When she calmed down I tried several times to offer her the puppy and she had zero interest in the puppy. The puppy was cold and crying and I tried to keep it warm but the mother would not take her. I had no choice but to introduce the puppy to the other mother who took right to cleaning it and even chewed off the cord because I left it too long. She warmed the puppy and its feeding her. Should I give the real mom another chance once she recovers or keep it with the other mom.

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

if the other bitch has taken the pup I would be tempted to leave it with her. The second bitch does not seem to have coped very well and a single pup is not a great idea so the pup might be a lot better with the first bitch.

Sairy, Linda Weasel and Rafa like this.
  3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I would leave the pup with her surrogate mother.

If you push the issue with the dam of the pup, she could become aggressive towards it.

Sairy, Blitz and Linda Weasel like this.
  4. Amyone

Amyone PetForums Newbie

Thank you everyone She just had another one and she actually got the sac off that one but not the cord and was dragging that one around as well. I managed to cut the cord for her and then left the puppy beside her and she tried to eat it. I don't think she is going to be a good mom so I removed the puppy and put it with the other dog who took that one as well. That one is deformed as well so not sure if that is why the mother acted like that toward it. The puppy has 5 legs. two of them really short

5. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Dear me.

Once the pups are weaned and off to new homes, do you plan to have these two bitches spayed?

6. Amyone

Amyone PetForums Newbie

yes for sure I love the dogs and glad I took them in I just wish they was not pregnant when I got them. How soon can I get the one that is having puppies now fixed I know I need to wait on the other one til she weans the pups

7. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Most likely. She knows they aren't right, and the natural cycle of things is survival of the fittest. Sometimes it's better for an animal with some terrible deformity or health problem to not live. A lifetime of suffering for an animal is no life at all.

8. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

You need to speak to your Vet.

Normally, bitches are spayed three months after a season, but your circumstances are a little different.

The bitch who delivered lastnight will produce milk and her hormones will be all over the place.

Your Vet will advise you as to the best time.

9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Are you going to keep the deformed pup, the best thing would be to put it to sleep, sad as it sounds. It really is not fair to keep a pup that is not going to be able to move normally. Well done for taking on these bitches, it sounds like there is a lot of heartache with them.

10. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

OP said the deformed pup 'didn't make it' so I read it that the pup had died during/soon after birth.

11. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

As I read it the last one born was deformed with an extra leg , still alive and put with the surrogate bitch.

NFC slave and Blitz like this.
  12. Amyone

Amyone PetForums Newbie

She had 5 puppies total the first one the organs was outside of the belly and it had no legs the second one was perfect no defects the third one was the one with 2 short legs where one should be and the last 2 was way under developed as if they stop growing early on. The one with the deformed leg seems to be doing fine but I have an appointment with the vet so I will see what she says would be best. I hate to put the puppy down if it will have a chance of a good life. I am not sure if a dog can adapt with only 3 legs but I will definitely look in to doing what will be best for pups. The surrogate mom is doing a great job with the two extra puppies. I am just worried as it is my first time dealing with newborn puppies if her original pups will be ok with the pups since they are a week older and will be opening there eyes soon and obviously doing stuff first since the are older.

13. Amyone

Amyone PetForums Newbie

14. Amyone

Amyone PetForums Newbie

This is the one with defect does it look like it can live a normal life?

Attached Files:

BUDDY18 likes this.
  15. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

The older pups should be fine with the younger ones.

You will need to be vigilant and ensure that the younger puppies are being allowed to feed. The older ones will be more vigorous and may push the babies out.

The pup in the picture does appear to have an abnormality, but nothing life threatening. I would take the advice of your Vet about that.

lorilu likes this.
  16. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

If the pup has 2 short legs on one side in place of one leg but a normal one on the other side maybe the answer would be to amputate the short legs and have a 3 legged dog which can work very well.

lorilu likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice