Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sign Up

Mother cat and kitten having reaction to something, vets are at a loss

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Hollyfrog, Aug 9, 2020.


  1. Hollyfrog

    Hollyfrog PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2020
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi, sorry for long post. I have a moggie cat who has a 6 week old litter. Earlier in the week I took mum cat to the vets as her back legs were limp, eyes bugging and gums completely white. Her blood had high glucose and had methemoglobinemia (chocolate brown colour due to oxidated haemoglobin). Vets treated for paracetamol poisoning and she recovered. We assumed she must have had the paracetamol while outside.
    Yesterday one of her kittens had the same limp back legs. Took the kitten to vets and the kitten had high glucose and low phosphate in bloods but otherwise ok. The vet feels it was both a result of a toxin or possibly hereditary. She said she had never seen anything like it before. The kitten is only in one room and we have combed through that room thoroughly and we cant find anything.
    Does anyone know what kind of toxin would cause these problems? Or any health conditions? I'm at a complete loss as to what to do
     
  2. chillminx

    chillminx PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2010
    Messages:
    29,782
    Likes Received:
    26,503
    Hello @Hollyfrog and welcome :)

    I am baffled how your cat could possibly get hold of paracetamol outdoors! It is not the kind of thing anyone would just leave lying around, and not the kind of thing a cat would eat from choice, as it is a very bitter drug and cats do not like bitter things.

    Perhaps she was deliberately poisoned by someone outside. Paracetamol is highly toxic to cats, as you say, it causes a condition called ‘methaemaglobinaemia’ [where the tongue and gums turn chocolate brown] as well as serious liver damage, and is often fatal for the cat. You are lucky your cat survived.

    If someone in your neighbourhood is giving cats food laced with paracetamol they are doing so out of malice and for that reason I would keep your cat indoors for her safety 24/7. I would report the poisoning to the police and the RSPCA.

    At 6 weeks old the kittens are not yet fully weaned. The kittens still need their mum. So for that reason alone you should keep the mum cat indoors all the time. Provide her with at least 2 litter trays and clean them out at least twice a day.

    It is very possible that as mum cat has been poisoned, the poison could get into her milk and poison her kittens! Did the vet not tell you to stop the kitten feeding from mum for a few days until the poison is out of her system?
     
    gskinner123 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice