Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Mot

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rona, May 13, 2010.

1. rona

rona Guest

Car in for MOT today.
    Just hoping it's going to be under £200, but I doubt it :(
    I know it needs 3 new tyres and an oil change
    The lower it is the more hydro for Alf

2. EmsBuddy

EmsBuddy PetForums Member

Good Luck, mine went in on Monday, and came out ok x

3. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

you shouldn't put 3 new tyres on it, you should always replace in PAIRS for safety/handling reasons.

what sort of car have you got? if you can't afford "good" tyres get the budget ones for now £25 a corner-ish, jobs a good un. In future, check out:
    UK Tyres Online: Cheap Car tyres | Blackcircles.com
    and
    http://www.falkentyres.co.uk/default.asp?cookiecheck=yes&
    cheap tyres and a cheap fitter that comes to you.
    OH has falkens on his s2000, i had them on my furbie, will be getting them for my next car (possibly a Audi TT), they are bloody good, cheap (in comparison to other makes) in fact i'd say they were better than most other makes, the handling on my furbie when up after i put them on.

do the oil change yourself? dead easy.

4. rona

rona Guest

One of the tyres are new, so it will have 4 new ones and a worn spare.
    :thumbup:
    Disposing of the oil is the main problem if I did it myself

5. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

not got a local dump? they take old oil there if it's in one of the black plassy containers you get from halfords. it's best to use an old cat litter tray to catch the oil though then transfer it.

good luck with the MOT :D can't be as bad as my mk1's last one.. £600! was worth it though.. being able to stop is always handy.

6. sophoscar

sophoscar PetForums VIP

Just becareful about cheap tyre's...I've got budgets on the back of my car and expensive on the front....back is going down quicker then the front :(

7. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Fingers x for you.

My last one was unbelievable. 1993 Nissan Sunny flew through, just needed a headlight adjustment - I was gobsmacked.

8. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

lol yeah that's why they're budgets ;)

9. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

I put mine through MOT, and it has only cost me.... £170 which is replacing brakes, 4 new tyres, and brake pipes done :)

10. sophoscar

sophoscar PetForums VIP

Yeah i know..it's my dad fault so wont listen to him :mad:

P.S. Hope it passes :)

11. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Took my son to college this morning and just as I got through the EXIT there was steam coming out the bonnet, had to call the RAC, it is now in the garage and going to cost me about £400??? Two hours sitting in the car looking like a knobhead and people and kids looking at me stupid. Probably thought I was social security watching the houses. lolol

12. rona

rona Guest

Oh dear :(
    I haven't had a phone call, so assume that there was nothing other than what I knew needed doing :D

13. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

Budget tyres are often of poor quality. Treads can be twisted and tyres slightly mishapen. That's why they're budget.
    I wouldn't put them on a vehicle of any substantial value just in case of a serious accident. The insurance assessor would probably void your policy immediately. Most performance cars these days have a tyre rating and fitters usually refuse to fit tyres of a lesser rating. They could lose their jobs!
    There are also places which sell reclaimed tyres which have been salvaged from scrap yards but you have to pick and choose your way through them.
    I wouldn't buy them either. ;)

14. rona

rona Guest

Have put on mid range tyres :thumbup:
    Just had a call, apart for a couple of light bulbs over and above, it's done :)

15. sophoscar

sophoscar PetForums VIP

Mines a top spec Corsa so really should not have them on but what can i do. I do have another set of wheels but one tyre is illegal so i've gotta make do until they go down.....at least my fronts are a good make and hardly any tread warn.

My dad gets budget and tbh i've always told him not to....he didn't listen and ended up having to get a new set of decent one's :lol:

16. metame

metame PetForums VIP

awesome :)

17. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Nice one, you can breath again now lolol:thumbup:

18. hawksport

hawksport Banned

For safety you should always have the best tyres on the back and the worn ones on the front

19. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

doesn't that depend on if its fwd or rwd?

I only get budget when i drive a ****-box. my Ka came with p6000's so that's what it got later on from new.

since i've discovered falken,that's all i'll put on any car, whatever the tyre rating is they have fantastic versions of what the manus put on. We wouldn't put any old rubbish on the s2k as it's rear-happy as it is.

actually the tread pattern isn't an issue (with it being 'twisted') as long as it is a full tread pattern it doesn't matter what it looks like (learned that straight from a tyre manufacturer) the tread pattern is literally the same as a pattern on material for say clothes or curtains. it's there to look pretty most of the time and to afficionados it shows which manu it is without looking at the sidewall. it's abit like burberry 'tartan', you know it the minute you see it but the item it's on doesn't need it to work.
    As long as the gutter is free of debris and the tread depth is legal there shouldn't be any problem with it being mishapen.

20. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

All done for the year....BUT doesn't that year come round quick:mad:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice