Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Most intelligent breed?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Yorkshire mum, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Yorkshire mum

Yorkshire mum PetForums Junior

I have been in British Shorthairs for nearly twenty years, and due to the recent loss of my stud boy decided instead to neuter my girls as they were getting older and start afresh in something different. I wonder what you all consider to be the more intelligent breeds. I want to get the choice right.

I recently rescued a kitten, some youths were sat on the edge of this street in Sheffield and threw a load of stones at my van as I was looking for an address,I slammed the brakes on and backed up got out and saw they had a kitten. I was worried for his safety and took him off them, believe me they would be worried about their safety not the other way around!! Anyway, he was about 4 months old and looked in danger of his life, he came here and what a clever wonderful boy, are moggies all that wonderful? your thoughts please.

2. Cyberfyn

Cyberfyn PetForums VIP

Well done you for the rescue.

And everyone's cat is the cleverest. Obviously ;)

Ian.

3. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

i think all cats are intelligent in their own wa. i have a moggy a mau cross and a maine coon.. the maine coon "answers" you when you talk to her and loves to watch mice on youtube (yes i let her watch mice agility things) then she tries to find a way into the monitor to get them, the mau cross knows her name, can open doors etc the moggy is just daft but thats because she is the baby of the group and the other 2 do everything for her

4. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

How lovely of you for rescing this little kitten!!

In terms of the most intellegent breed unless you line them all up for some form of feline IQ test no-one will ever know the answer to that and each cat is different.

I have been told in the past that Bengal's are very intellegent however my friends one still hasn't worked out that there is a window in the door and tries to run through it.

Birman's are supposed to be a but clueless but my Birman has figured out how to open the door to the food store and tip the box of biscuits so that she can eat them.

I would suggest choosing a breed for love of that breed rather than the most intellegent as you may not get the very clever cat that you are looking for.

5. badbudgie

badbudgie PetForums Member

Are you a polititian? Very diplomatic!

6. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

I think I have had some of the thickest going....

Maine Coons are meant to be very sharp. Mine certainly opens doors & the like but I have yet to try her out with some clicker training. My Birman doesn't compare, though. Bless him.

7. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

Well all i can say is My Blacks Rule the world !!!!!!!! :001_tt2::D:D xx

8. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

Good answer...lol. ;) :D

9. kidsandcats

kidsandcats PetForums Member

I've only ever had moggies and they have all been wonderful, especially my last two Ted and Dusty (picture below). They were absolutely lovely cats, everyone commented on what lovely temprements they had and were brilliant with my kids. They used to carry them everywhere. I am sure Ted thought he was human. He followed me everywhere, sat and watched whatever I was doing, as soon as I sat down he would be on my lap and at dinner time he was sit at the table with us in a chair just watching us. All I needed to do was give him a bib and knife and fork and he would have been well away lol! They were both very intelligent. They learnt how to open doors and used to open the cupboard with the food in and dig their dry food out of the bag. They both got killed last month, I miss them so much!!!
    Sharon
    x

10. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

i had 2 smart moggies when i was in my teens.. we lived not too far from my high school and as soon as the bell went at 3.45 one of my girls would jump out the back window and run to meet me at school. my mum used to watch them do it.. at first it was just tilly that would but when she died maizie took over the job of walking me home from school (i think they just knew they would get treats as soon as we got in the door if they did it though haha)

11. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Ive had moggies and pedigree i think alot depends on the cats them self. My bsh is a toad and has discovered if he gets on the window sill in the kitchen he can stand on the door handle with his weight to try open the door. I have now got to keep my back door locked all the time incase he makes a dash for it. Did hear the bengal and siamese are meant to be very intelligent . Although never had one myself so cant comment on it.

12. spid

spid PetForums VIP

My moggy is missing quite a few IQ points I'm afraid - whereas Minnii has always been quite smart (Birman) - her kittens are smart too. Each cat on it's merits I say. I'd chose a breed you love the look of first and then go with that after a bit of research - I don't think any breed ped or mog is or isn't intelligent.

13. xkittenx

xkittenx PetForums Junior

Believe me...all cats are intelligent...and those who do not show it, are most intelligent of all!!!

My Jet (the beautiful black cat first pic on my signature photo) also thinks she rules the world...perhaps there is a secret coalition here???

14. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

Wow i was going to call Sweep Jet :D and Yes there sure is ask Elaine ( Ladyredlainey ) :001_tt2: :D and by the way your Jet is gorgeous !! :thumbup: xx

15. xkittenx

xkittenx PetForums Junior

Oooh Spooky! lol...Elaine...sorry i dont know you but how much do you know about the secret black cat coalition (SBCC)??? lol :smilewinkgrin:

16. Yorkshire mum

Yorkshire mum PetForums Junior

Well thankyou everyone I have made my decision.......................

I am going to buy 2 devon rex kittens and get a farm moggie kitten, all at the same time. I did have a Devon about 22 years ago and she was wonderful, she died in a tragic accident when only 3 years old. We moved house and put a collar and small tag on her, she strangled in someones kiddies goalpost in their garden. She was a beautiful blue tortie. Memories.

I hope you all like my decision.

17. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

Cool ! :thumbup: They have big ears don't they :confused: and are really cute ! ;) x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice