Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Most embarrassing thing your dog has ever done?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Eejay, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Eejay

Eejay PetForums Member

What is the most embarrassing thing your dog has ever done? I’ll start- when my dog was a puppy, I would take her on a quiet country walk (off lead as there was no traffic). This involved walking past a mobile home set back from the path. One day, as we walked past she rushed off to say hello to a man standing near the mobile home, refusing to come back when I called. As I was apologising for this and trying to catch her, to my horror I saw that the door of the mobile home was open, and the next thing I knew she was in the lounge, jumping all over the sofa. I was mortified!

Enna Addair, Torin., Cleo38 and 2 others like this.
  2. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Dog peed up someone's leg.

Beau as a... frustrated pup, used to drag his unicorn toy, drag it so it was in full view of everyone and anyone, then start humping it uncontrollably. Every time we moved it elsewhere he'd drag it back to where he was and start again.

Only way we stopped him was to throw the unicorn away. Man he loved that unicorn. We still joke about it today.

Eejay, Enna Addair, Cleo38 and 2 others like this.
  3. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

Not sure if I was embarrassed or horrified at the time (likely a mix of both), this was years ago when Jasper was a gangly uncoordinated youngster. He was playing with a lurcher and they were having zoomies chasing each other. The lurcher ran towards his family full belt, Jasper followed but where the lurcher dodged to the side to avoid bumping into them Jasper ended up running into the little girl's legs and sweeping her straight off her feet. (Thankfully she was okay but it put an end to their playing and I couldn't apologise enough!)

4. Kaily

Kaily PetForums Member

Well Alfie was about 9 months old, it was new years eve and I was walking him and my two other JR's in the local park. This park runs alongside a open air part of tube train track but is very securely fenced with chain link or so I thought.

Along comes Mr squirrel runs right in front of dogs and under fence through a tiny hole, closely followed by Matilda and Alfie. Soon as I called Matilda came back but no sign of Alfie. Panic set in realising he was very close to the track but he was also panicking as he couldn't find his way out.

He ended up actually running across the track several times, one tube driver stopped his train and tried to get him into the carriage but to no avail. By then all the trains had been informed and going very slowly. Eventually another dog walker came and thinking clearer than me (I was convinced he was dead and crying as could no longer see him) decided to call the fire brigade.

Six firemen arrived with ladders and rescued my little boy. I warned them he might be a bit snappy as he was in panic mode so they flipped a coin as to who was actually going to pick him up.

Luck that day was on our side. We were the talk of the park for many weeks.

#4 Kaily, Jun 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Eejay, Cleo38 and Sarah H like this.
  5. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I can't beat that...:D
    Amber had a fear of shinny floors. When we was on holiday in the South of France we went to Cannes for the day on the train, when we got back to the station she took one look at the concourse floor which we had to cross to the platforms and stopped dead, we tried always to get her in but no she was going nowhere, so in the end OH had to lift a 50 kilo dog and carry her right across to the platforms with a crowd watching him. :Hilarious

6. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

One year we were showing my first greyhound at crufts. He hated to sawdust exercise areas and wouldn't wee on them. We were asked if we could help out doing a handling display in the discover dogs ring and as we had finished showing and were waiting to be allowed to go home we said yes. For those who don't show if you are showing your dog at crufts you are not allowed to leave until 4pm regardless of what time you had finished showing.

The ring had green carpets as do all the rings at crufts as we stood in the line waiting to do our bit William couldn't help himself he was desperate for a wee and couldn't hold it any longer you weren't allowed to take dogs outside he stood there and cocked his leg up my leg and with a dog the size of a greyhound you can imaging that was all down my whole leg Fortunatelt I had spare trousers with me throw williams lead at my husband ran and got changed and was back in the ring in time to do my bit.

Since that day he did it again the following year this time in the breed ring. Now if you have your ring number you can take dogs outside for a wee at certain doors if you get a friendly security guard although William went to rainbow bridge 10 years ago.

Cleo38 and Sarah H like this.
  7. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I've told this one before...on the beach as a kid with my family. Our PRT was a friendly lad who loved everyone and would just run up and down the beach having a great time exploring. There was a couple having a picnic (they had finished) and he was sniffing around near them and they called him over to say hello. We just carried on walking knowing he'd come back once he'd had cuddles, but to our dismay after saying Hi he cocked his leg and peed all over their wicker picnic hamper! We just kept our heads down and pretended we didn't know him....:oops:

kirstykins, Torin. and Cleo38 like this.
  8. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

And I thought the boxers were embarrassing you definitely win ! Oh Alfie.

Happy Paws2 likes this.
  9. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

As a pup chased the neighbours cat and came back wearing the cat flap as a necklace.
    First season walking in a remote area encountered an entire male called “Roger”:oops:

PawsOnMe and Cleo38 like this.
  10. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Jumping over the sea wall in Hunstanton and landing 10 feet below in the middle of a family picnic !

11. Smalldogs

Smalldogs PetForums Member

My wonderful Pekingese liked to steal handkerchiefs from family pockets. One evening in the pub, he strolled over and removed a £10 note from a stranger's pocket and then brought it proudly to me. Although I returned the money immediately, the owner clearly thought I'd trained my dog to steal money and had only returned the note because everyone was watching.

kirstykins, bumbarrel, Eejay and 7 others like this.
  12. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

That's brilliant! Gives me an idea......lol

Happy Paws2 and caterpiller like this.
  13. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Well there's been quite a lot over the years but probably one of the worse was dear little Jessie. My daughter and I were walking all our dogs (6 of them I think) in a large local country park when Jessie suddenly spotted a very smart couple with their GSD way in the distance and made a bee-line for them. She totally ignored my calls and as we got closer, by which time Jessie had jumped all over them and was flirting with their dog, I recognised the chap as one of my pupils at our dog training classes.....!! I said to my daughter "quick let's go, he might not recognise me" and we legged it in the other direction. Jessie did eventually deign to join us and the chap never mentioned it in class so I probably got away with it. Jessie was a right little madam. She also cleared off miles on Newmarket July Race Course after we'd competed in a show where she had won her obedience class....but that's another story.

kirstykins, Sarah H, PawsOnMe and 3 others like this.
  14. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

:D

15. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Toby, my first dog caused me so many embarrassing moments. One that stands out was walking round a lake in the summer, it was quite busy as there were children's play facilities, a section for boating & plenty of people fishing. Toby was offlead & he spotted something in the distance & was off. Despite me calling him he continued to run & seemed to be making a bee line for a man fishing. I ran after him & saw him run up to the man then snatch a pile of wrapped sandwiches. He then ran off, hid under a bush, pulled the wrapper off & scoffed the lot!}

I was mortified & went over to apologise to the man & offer to buy him some more sandwiches from the café. Luckily he thought it was hilarious & told me he didn't really want the sandwiches anyway, he was more in to just having a few beers & relaxing & said Toby had given him such a laugh.

It was funny to see but I was so embarrassed. I also can't believe how he spotted those sandwiches from such a distance but then Toby almost had super powers for finding food :D

16. Eejay

Eejay PetForums Member

Thanks for these- they’re wonderful stories! Made me feel better! Before I got a dog, I wasn’t really a dog person (it was the rest of the family that really wanted one) and if a dog came up to me or did something I disliked, I always used to think “why can’t people control their animals?”!! Then I got a dog of my own...
    It just shows that, however well- trained the dog, there are always times when they just have minds of their own!

Cleo38 likes this.
  17. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

I have had a number, but catching a pidgeon and parading it around the centre of the city on a Saturday morning amongst all the shoppers was bad...

Sarah H and Boxer123 like this.
  18. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Definitely! Another Toby story was when we were training for a rally obedience competition at a local show. He was doing so well at training & I was really looking forward to it. It was quite a big village show with lots going on, lots of people, lots of things to see & lots of food. Toby spent most of the day scoffing chips, burgers, hot dogs & candy floss he managed to find on the ground.

Anyway, early afternoon we went over to where our competition was & soon it was our turn. I was quite nervous as there were quite a lot of spectators, I didn't expect a rosette or anything as some people had incredible obedience & were obviously very skilled …. Toby & I were novices but I reckoned we could do ok.

As soon as we got in to the ring he decided to act the clown. He ran around, the course, picking up the signs & ragging them, flinging cones around playing up to his audience who were laughing at his antics. He then saw our trainer & went over to say "Hello" then ran over to the judge, jumped up & stole her clipboard & ran off with it. People thought it was hilarious especially I was running after him, it was such a great game for him.

Suddenly he stopped & proceeded to throw up loads of pink vomit all over the clipboard as obviously all the junk he'd been eating that day wasn't staying down in all the excitement. He then saw my sister in the crowd, leapt out of the ring & went to sit with her for a cuddle! I was left to retrieve the clipboard & try to wipe the sick off with some poo bags …. the judge was not impressed at all but everyone though it was hilarious & Toby got a round of applause :D

kirstykins, Sarah H and caterpiller like this.
  19. Kaily

Kaily PetForums Member

Ha ha did you win?? ^

Boxer123 and caterpiller like this.
  20. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I was at an agility competition with Ziggy, and went for a pee in one of those phone-box type toilets, leaving her outside with her lead through the door. She lunged at something outside, her lead caught the door catch and it flew open, leaving me sat there in full view.
    Fair to say that after having worked as a life class model, I don't really 'do' embarrassment.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice