Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Morning Motivation

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by patterstaffy, Sep 25, 2013.

1. patterstaffy

patterstaffy PetForums Junior

Hi all,

My OH has changed his working hours so he starts earlier in the morning. This means the dogs will have to be walked earlier which will be down to me. Now, I hate mornings. I'm really not a morning person at all and the thought of having to get out of bed an hour earlier than normal makes me want to cry. So, all you early morning dog walkers, how do you get yourself motivated? Especially now the dark mornings are here.

Joanne

2. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

I basically bully myself into doing it , having the sort of dog that will eat all your earthly possessions if you don't leave it well exercised is also a huge motivation :eek:

3. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

I snoozed my alarm 3 times this morning and each snooze is ten mins :frown2:

I have no tips really because I hate getting up :(

4. patterstaffy

You sound like me. I am beyond hopless in the mornings. Even having 3 young children hasn't got me used to them. :(

5. Labrador Laura

Labrador Laura PetForums VIP

Put your alarm at the other end of the room so you have to get out of bed to turn it off :D

6. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Oh bless you, early morning walks can be a pain.

When my kids were primary school, it worked out great for me since the dogs came with me and the school being a 30 minute walk away and I had to go helped loads.

When the kids hit secondary school, morning walks became a chore, just one more cuppa before I go was always my excuse.

Now though, I am up at 5 am for work, home at about 9am so am full of beans ready for the long walk in the wilderness. But if I had to get up at 5am, to walk the dogs I don't know how I would cope. So all I can say is best of luck to you. If you find the secret to getting out of bed early please let me know.

7. Tash

Tash PetForums Member

I tried my very first early morning walk with Benji this morning and I actually found it quite rewarding? lol maybe that's because it's my first early morning walk.. we'll see how that motivation sticks over the next few weeks/months. I also have the extra motivation of going to the gym afterwards.. yay for getting fit?

Though Benji is quite like ellenlouisepascoe's, he'll scratch down the door, chew on things he shouldn't chew on, jump on the bed etc until I get up. Grrrr..

8. Goldstar

Goldstar PetForums VIP

I hate mornings too so I get OH to walk her, I do the evening walk so it's all fair :D

9. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

My morning motivation is Millie is going to be home while I'm at work.

That even if both of us are tired she NEEDS a walk and her needs outweigh my need for a lie in.

For me its not about being motivated or not its doing what has to be done to best meet Millie's needs. By being up early it means I'm home from work by 16:20. Its worth it so we have maximum time for evening walks.

I'm normally out walking at 6am- I normally enjoy it but not everyday admittedly :eek:

Now its darker I've got Millie's lumo orange lead and light up collar out again. :)

I always do morning walks. Evening walks are always me and hubby. Wouldn't have it any other way.

#9 Milliepoochie, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  10. patterstaffy

You're right. The dogs need to be walked. I just really wish I was one of those people who wake up at 6am and leap out of bed ready for the day ahead. :( I actually envy people who are like that.

11. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

I'm going to read this when my alarm goes off at 6am..

12. Owner of a mad terrier

Owner of a mad terrier PetForums Junior

Oh I hate bloody mornings! I'm not a morning person either but I work four full days a week and my OH works full time so I'm dealt out the job of the morning walk at 6am :(

Don't get me wrong I love making my dog happy but I hate mornings.

The way I get up is just the same as other people have said. I realise that I HAVE to do it. I have no choice and my dog's needs are greater than extra sleep as she will be left all day (with a short wee break) so...

I do quite enjoy It sometimes though. Near Christmas on those fresh crisp mornings. It's beautiful. But then I am lucky living In the heart of the countryside! I bet the centre of London doesn't look quite so picturesque.....

13. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

well when most of you are getting up to walk the dogs i'm going to bed :D the joys of night working, i'm sooooo not a morning person haha

14. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Is it essential they are walked in the morning?

15. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I am like that; I love mornings.....but then I am struggling to stay awake when all you night owls are coming into your own :eek:. Swings and roundabouts!

16. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

I must admit I didn't walk Ben yesterday morning as we didn't make it up in time..it was just so dark. I played ball with him on the garden for about 10 mins and he didn't destroy the house or anything and still went to his crate when he knew I was leaving. Hubby then walked him after work but I do prefer him to have two walks a day. My mum comes at lunch for him and again after half an hour he knows its back in the house!

I only snoozed my alarm once this morning so I'm ahead of schedule...hence the reason for being on PF!!

Edited to add I have corrected 3 spellings in this post...clearly too early

#16 BenBoy, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  17. Cheryl89

I don't particularly like mornings, I just have to be in work for 6.30am so I have no choice :( x

18. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I struggle with early walks too. I usually enjoy it once I'm out, but it's the getting-out-of-bed bit that is hard!

What makes it even worse is Kenzie doesn't really seem to care if she gets a walk in the morning or not - it doesn't affect how she is during the day and quite often she doesn't even want to walk if it's too early - I have to encourage her along.

But I try :eek:

19. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

I don't have a problem getting up, I think of the pets that need to be tended to. I work so if I don't clean them, feed them and walk the dog then they would have to go all day, before I could see to them. basically neglected. Its the same routine for me on an evening so they are comfortable, clean, fed and relaxed for the night.

My problem is the thought of going out in the freezing cold, when it comes.

20. lilythepink

lilythepink PetForums VIP

Some are early birds and others are night owls.

Does it matter what time the walk is arranged? If you need 2 walks what about 2 evening ones?

I love the early mornings, think its the best part of the day. Not usually many people about, roads are quieter, much prefer mornings..but then by 9pm I am fading fast.lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice