Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Morning Licking of Our Bed and us.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Dunwoody, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Dunwoody

Dunwoody PetForums Newbie

Hello,

our mini-long-haired-dachshund is almost 3 years old and has always licked, but mainly specific times or situations, and sometimes drives us crazy. With food his very upfront and similar to a bulldozer, but quite anxious at other times, e.g. won't sit by himself in another room, always wants company. But never left alone at home.

The main issue is first thing in the morning, when we've given him his breakfast and he's allowed onto our bed. He goes into his ritual morning welcome wriggles round our shoulders and pushes the side of his face on either side of my wifes face. Then he'll settle into her arms and lick her arms or lay down on the bed and just lick the bed till a wet patch is formed. He will settle down but after 10 minutes or so.

The next situation is if he sits on my knee, he'll try to lick my clothes, quite intent. Stops after a few minutes.

Doesn't lick himeself too much at all, seldom really.

The clothes licking is managable, but the morning licking is a nightmare, any tips?

Thank you.

2. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

If you want him to continue to come into the bed, i would train him to jump onto the bottom end of the bed first and teach him to settle there (assuming you are pillow end!) If he attempts to come to the top end, away and settle.

When he has got used to jumping up and settling there at the bottom end, you could try petting him whilst he remains calm.

Once he has cracked that, you can try inviting him to jump onto the bed nearer to pillow end.

All over many mornings slowly gradually and calmly.

BUT i dont have my dogs on our bed so if someone comes along with a better sounding plan, go with that one. This is just the sort of thing i think might work for you.

3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Quite honestly, I would just tell him to stop.

My JR bitch would be a compulsive licker, if she were allowed.

Excessive licking can simply become a habit. I would allow him to give you a couple of licks and then tell him to stop. I say "that'll do" to my JR and that works.

Lurcherlad and Owned by a dog like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice