Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Morkie Puppy Grooming Help!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by BeeHughes, Apr 4, 2020.

1. BeeHughes

BeeHughes PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone,

I am new to pet forums, and a first time puppy owner.

I have a 4 months 24 days old morkie girl puppy, she has long hair and doesn't really like to be brushed unless really tired. (She has previously been to the groomers for a puppy groom, and was scheduled for another last week but due to covid-19, the salon closed)

Sadly, she has a number of mats on her hair that I just cannot get out with brushing or combing. I have used a detangling spray and even coconut oil. I brush her everyday to try and loosen them but nothing works.

I don't want to cut her hair as I was told I have to wait till 8 months to avoid skin problems, but I feel terrible she has so many mats.

Will I have to cut them as a last resort? I would appreciate any advice and tips! (the picture shown is before brushing )

Attached Files:

2. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

I would get practising with this to be honest - whichever breed parent she has taken after, both Yorkies and a Maltese need grooming so I would introduce her to accept being groomed daily using high level rewards. Many crosses produce quite unmanageable coats. And once you get on the cycle of having mats, grooming is uncomfortable for the dog which makes them dislike grooming even more.

To get to this stage it may be that you will have to snip out any mats that you can't untangle and start again. Use thinning scissors if you can - less dangerous! If the mats get too bad, when you do go to a groomers they may have to shave her down anyway - my wife had to preform a number of shaves on matted dogs when she was grooming - so a little snipping now may save that having to happen.

As for not cutting the coat - it's the coat not the skin that may be affected by an early cut whilst a pup hasn't got their adult coat. Ideally you leave it but then again these situations aren't ideal are they!

If you have tried the usual things I'd opt for the thinning scissors and starting afresh with a clear coat.

J

3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

For anything like this that a dog would prefer not to be done, I find squeezy cheese in a tube is a great distraction. One person holds the tube still and gently squeezes out tiny amounts to keep the dog busy licking, while the other person does what needs to be done.

Torin. and SusieRainbow like this.
  4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Or smear it on white goods, or use a likimat depending where the mat is of course.

Using the white goods is good why to get dogs used to being groomed any why, just with the normal brush and comb

5. Kaily

Kaily PetForums Senior

No advice I'm afraid but wanted to say what a cute pup!

6. BeeHughes

BeeHughes PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much for this! I will take that all on board!

7. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I have closed 2 duplicate threads.

Torin. likes this.
  8. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I have a really great silicone lick thing from @SusieRainbow in my SS last year that has a giant suction cup on the back for sticking to flat places. It's better than just smearing directly on stuff because it takes that bit longer for Cadvan to consume, but the same principle! I use it for similar care stuff which I need to do for welfare in an ongoing sense even though he's not completely happy with it. I live alone, so definitely needed a hands-free option!

I agree with @Jamesgoeswalkies that snipping is probably your friend right now. Prioritising the coat is going to be very stressful, and that's not a good starting point. Many animals do find the actual 'snip' noise of blades fully closing to be scary, so not quite using the full length can be better overall.

SusieRainbow likes this.
  9. DanWalkersmum

DanWalkersmum watching the world go by

Aw gorgeous ball of fluff!
    My Dan was similar as a young pup, and had regular puppy grooms. I also made a point of brushing him most days, thus avoided matting. This routine worked for me. He tolerates a comb better than a brush starting slowly with the widest teeth and going over him again with the closer teeth. Using a detangling spray on my hand and massaging it into his coat before going near him with a comb. Once he's all combed through a quick slick over with the slicker brush and you're done. Slickers brushes can be a bit scratchy in my experience. If you can get him on your knee when he's sleepy and avoid pulling on the hair, teasing out any little knots, stopping if he stirs, to try again later. I agree that you will need to use thinning scissors for any mats you have now or they will only get worse.
    The groomer would not do a full blown trim until he was over six months because the adult coat had not yet come in.

A puppy pic of Dan just before a grooming session so you can compare his coat

IMG_20190429_153704.jpg

10. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

When you cut the mats try and find a loose bit nearer the skin that you can stick the scissors through and then cut upwards to try and avoid cutting the dog. I am afraid a pup like that needs a thorough grooming right to the skin every single day or you will end up having to cut all the hair off. It might be some time till groomers open so a pair of clippers of your own might be wise so you can clip the coat shorter. Not sure why it would do any harm, poodles are clipped from a few weeks old though the coat is kept longer on puppies.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice