Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

More questions....

Discussion in 'Gardening Advice' started by McKenzie, Nov 11, 2017.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I’m slowly sorting my garden out in my head!

First question - I currently have this plant as a hedge outside the front of my house and it provides privacy from the road. It desperately needs to be cut back, but I’m worried that when I do it will end up all twiggy and horrible. I don’t like it much because the little flowers drop off all over my front door step and get tracked inside. Could I replace it with something else? It’s planted in a little raised bed.

AE1A6F37-8396-4260-B606-CC4BC332B574.jpeg

947DB67B-7F4D-46F6-A84B-7339533BDCFA.jpeg

Second question. I currently have a little box hedge at the front of a garden that runs all the way down my back fence. I don’t really like it, but I saw this garden on my dog walk this afternoon which is much more my style. I’m not sure what the little purple flowered plant is but I like that it still gives a border at the front without blocking too much behind. I also love the fox gloves!

The current garden:

B25D1923-4098-4EDC-9D03-C710B438BED7.jpeg

Attached Files:

#1 McKenzie, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Can't tell what the first plant is, but you could try cutting it back quite hard (to just above a shoot) and it might survive and become more compact and bushy. That doesn't solve the mess issue though.

You could replace it with the box hedge in the garden - water thoroughly the day before and dig up carefully so you don't wreck the roots. That will make a neat barrier and can be clipped twice a year. Make sure you water and feed it regularly as it's in a raised bed and is restricted.

The blue plant you like looks like Campanula Portenschlagiana - an easy to grow, robust plant. Make sure you check labels as some Campanulas grow tall, depending on type.

Foxgloves are easy to grow from seed, usually biennial. There are some perennial ones.

McKenzie likes this.
  3. rona

rona Still missing my boys

You big shrub looks like a Broom which don't like hard pruning, probably why it's so straggly.

Have a look at Hebes as a replacement. You can get variegated and/or lovely flowering ones

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I think you should start charging me for gardening advice LL :Hilarious

Thanks, that’s really helpful. I’m a bit closer to knowing what I want! Admittedly I haven’t actually done anything yet!

I feel a bit like I don’t have any ownership over my garden at the moment, and I think when I put my own stamp on it I will enjoy gardening more.

Thanks, I think I’d really like to change it.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. rona

rona Still missing my boys

McKenzie and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. Hisoka

Hisoka PetForums Member

I'm assuming you've recently moved here? All the professional gardeners would tell you to wait a full year before making changes so you can see what you've already got through the seasons. But if you're too impatient for even that don't do anything now - just plan for the spring! I made the mistake of planting a Hypericum Hidcote hedge this time last year - I got small plants because they were cheap but really they were just nondescript small brown twigs that didn't show up in the winter and consequently got driven over a few times until I put a small fence up! Come the spring they went berserk are probably at least 18" high and still flowering with large yellow flowers so I might as well have left it until then. By the way, it's a great hedge to consider, mostly evergreen, not too tall and flowers on and off for months. I'll take a picture tomorrow if I remember.

7. Honeys mum

Honeys mum PetForums VIP

If your thinking of taking out your box hedge, Lavender Hidcote makes a lovely hedging plant.
    I have one in my garden.
    Sorry the pic doesn't seem to have worked. Will try again.
    [​IMG]

8. Honeys mum

Honeys mum PetForums VIP

[​IMG]

Has worked this time.

9. CuddleMonster

CuddleMonster PetForums VIP

If you replace your broom with hebes, go for the small-leaved ones unless you are in a sheltered location. Large-leaved ones are much more prone to dying from cold/harsh winds/frosts

rona likes this.
  10. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

McKenzie live in New Zealand so it is spring now for her :)

@McKenzie if you can get the compact sort of hebes I agree they make lovely small evergreen bushes. The small leaves ones don't seem to get as straggly

Lurcherlad likes this.
  11. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the advice. I’ve lived in my house for just over a year now, and yes I live in nz so we are in spring at the moment. I’m currently clearing out the garden of everything I don’t want - it’s a big job!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  12. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Do you have Freecycle (or similar there)?

Someone might be happy to give the plants you don't like a new home :)

kittih likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice