Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

More kitty problems :(

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by demi, Sep 30, 2013.

1. demi

demi PetForums Member

Been having trouble with persistent roundworms in my 3-4 month old kitten. She's been having on-off diarrhea as well as vomiting and now i think she's got blood in her urine. Could this be another symptom of worms? I'm worried they've caused internal damage :( She had blood in her stool one time about month ago, probably from the worms. I'v wormed her 4 times already why are the tablets not working!!??

2. denflo

denflo PetForums Senior

What are you worming her with? Are you sure it is worms which are making her poorly? Has she been to the vet? If she has blood in her urine, this would suggest a urine infection rather than worms, if this is the case, she really needs to see a vet asap, it will be very painful and if let untreated quite dangerous.

3. CharlieChaplin

CharlieChaplin PetForums VIP

How do you know it is round worm? Have you had a stool sample checked out by a vet? Or could it be something else? Is she defiantly taking the tablet?

I echo what Denflo says...... a kitten with vomiting an diarrhoea can go downhill very quickly from dehydration. Blood in urine could be a UTI which is extremely serious and blood in stool doesn't necessary mean worms, It can be something more serious.

Please, please go and get this checked out asap and next time you see symptoms like this I would advice to get medical help again.

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

If you have definitely seen signs of worms it could be tapeworm not round worm. (Tapeworm looks like grains of rice and they don't wriggle. Round worms do look like worms and they wriggle.)

If you have just been using only a round worm treatment, you need to treat for tapeworm too. Only use worm medicines prescribed by the vet, as stuff bought from pet stores can be dangerous or useless. Giving her repeat doses of worm tablets, one after the other, could also be harmful to her health.

But, as others have said, blood in the urine is NOT a sign of worms, but of a urinary tract infection (UTI) which needs antibiotics and pain relief from the vet.

Your kitten needs to be seen by the vet immediately. Please ask for an urgent appointment today, do not be brushed off.

EDIT: do not feed your kitten any dry food as she has bladder problems. Give her wet food only and add a little fresh water to her food.

#4 chillminx, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  5. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Blood in stools is quite common with worms and other parasites, in cats and kittens.

But make sure you get the right worming treatment from the vet, something like Milbemax or Advantage!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice