More fish for 300L tank.

Discussion in 'Coldwater Aquarium Advice' started by Ebphoenix, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Ebphoenix

Ebphoenix PetForums Newbie

Hey everyone. I have a 300L coldwater tank. I had been keeping fancy goldfish but fancied a different direction. Originally thought about tropical but heard it can be expensive to keep a big tank heated. So decided to look at smaller coldwater fish.

I have had Danios and WCMM before with some Variatus platy in a smaller tank. It was a lovely mix. But now i have a much bigger tank, i am thinking of stocking ideas. I currently have just added 8 Zebra/leopard & gold zebra Danios and 6 WCMMs.

I did want to put some Variatus platy in but ive been reading they actually prefer the tank abit warmer (20ish) and maybe a gentler water flow. I am undecided what i can add next. Any ideas?. Perhaps just more Danio/ WCMM combos?.

2. NaomiM

NaomiM PetForums VIP

Hi Ebphoenix,

What a lovely tank size :) If it were me, I'd be thinking about a temperate tank - adding a heater set to around 18-20, so that it only comes on when the weather is very cold. This keeps costs down while giving you a lot more choice.

I have a temperate tank, currently stocked with odessa and gold barbs. I wouldn't recommend the odessas with WCMMs as they can be a bit boistrous for them (I'm speaking from bitter experience), but I'd have thought gold barbs would be OK. As your tank is a fair size, rosy barbs are also an option.

Several cory species prefer cooler water. Peppered are the first to come to mind, butthere are others too. There are also some plecos that can take lower temps, such as bulldog/rubberlip. Weather loach are another nice option for bottom-dwellers, since you have the tank size for them.

Re platys, if they are true variatus (not crossed with other platy types) they should be fine.

Rainbow shiners are another lovely option for a temperate tank, though a decent shoal can be a little pricey.

Florida flagfish can be hard to get hold of, but are interesting to keep (again my odessa barbs turned out to be too boistrous for the little group of them I had).

There are also a few cooler-water tetras, such as buenos aires.

Hope that gives you some inspiration!

magpie likes this.
  3. Ebphoenix

Ebphoenix PetForums Newbie

Oh thankyou, that has given me some definite ideas!. I never thought of having bottom dwellers really. I may give them a try too. I love Rainbow shiners but like you say they seem to be pretty pricey really. Good advice about the heater too. Im unsure what the temperature is at the moment. I will have to get me a reader for it. Thanks alot!

4. NaomiM

NaomiM PetForums VIP

No problem :)

If you do decide to go for corys or loaches, bear in mind that you'd need the substrate to be sand or very fine micro-gravel. :)