Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

More advice :D

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by sammyben, Jul 30, 2009.

1. sammyben

sammyben Guest

Just wondering what methods people use/used to teach their dogs to 'come'. We haven't tried it outside the garden yet but if Sammy has his 'nonsense' head on when we have him out in the garden he will not come when called. He will if I shake the bag of treats but I don't want to be bribing him all the time, I want him to realise that he only gets a treat if he is good and comes when I call him. Does that make sense? Also, he is 5 months, I take it thats not too young to teach them to come?

X

2. JennieJet

JennieJet PetForums Member

hi, i have a 20 week old black lab and what i did was that i went into a different room in the house and used the command " Jet come" and when she appeared she got a treat....i did this a few times during the day and she came every time i said "jet come" .....then when we went for walks off the lead i still did the same...i would let her go off then say " jet com" and she would get a dinner treat.......dont give a treat everytime but vary it so they always want to come back just incase......just try it for a day or so in the house using a treat/dry food each time until they twig and then keep practicing it while u are out on walks xxxx hope this helps xxx

3. JennieJet

I was also told to keep the command simple...so just your dogs name and then come......Jet is my first dog ever and she learned it in a day...start in the house xxx

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Dave gets his silly head on in the garden sometimes.
    The one sure way to have him running so fst his brakes fail, is to say ''Dixie, Sit'' loud enough for him to hear! Lol :D

I am training my pair to come to a whistle which went on hold because I ran out of Really tasty treats.

x

5. sammyben

sammyben Guest

Thanks, I'll try this...I know its all about percevierance (sp?) but hopefully he picks it up quick :D

6. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Recall is one of those things that people don't spend enough time generalising and proofing.

Consequently you often hear the wail "She always comes in from the garden when I call but when we're on walks she ignores me! She's so NAUGHTY!!"

A lot of trainers will tell you that it takes a good while - we're talking months and years - of relentless practise, generalising and proofing before you can consider your dog 100% reliable.

If you ever find yourself saying "My dog's got a great recall - except for when he's chasing squirrels/sniffing/playing with another dog" then you don't have a great recall.

You start out in the house, then when the dog is reliable, progress to the garden, then adding more distractions GRADUALLY, then progressing to out on walks in low distraction situations, gradually adding more distractions, then GRADUALLY increasing difficulty. Always setting the dog up to succeed (if you're in any doubt that he'll obey - if he's running after another dog and you haven't got that far yet, for instance - DON'T use the recall command), not giving the opportunity to ignore you. Start skipping steps and you weaken the chain of learning.

It's easy to teach but hard to get 100% reliable ;)

1 person likes this.
  7. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

My puppy is 3 months old and we have mastered come, before being 100% toilet trained and we still try to chew things that are not our toys. is your dog ok with the other 2?

8. JennieJet

def agree...we are still training her...started in the house as I stated earlier and do it all the time outside on every walk...she is getting so much better...she will now walk past most people and if she starts to run after another dog or person she will now 99% of the time come back...got to keep on practicing all the time :)

9. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

We started in the house put them on a long lead and called them while holding treats. Then into the garden when they were perfect in the house and then on walks on lead and then offlead. Buster's recall still isn't perfect especially when theres a rabbit or something typical terrier but Sophie and Max I can recall 100% of the time. We use a hand signal as well as x come it helps if they can't hear us for some reason. It's something you need to work on constantly.

10. sammyben

sammyben Guest

Thanks for this...just need to get the practice in :D

Sammy is house trained although he still not 100% as he has had a few accidents,but its not very often...he is clean right through the night aswell, he sits, gives a paw and speaks for his treats lol....he is also not too bad with chewing things, so far he has only destroyed 1 shoe :rolleyes:

11. fun4fido

fun4fido PetForums Senior

Excellent... tried to give rep but was told had to spread some rep before giving your more!

12. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Oo thanks! :)

13. Deb

Deb PetForums Senior

my 8mth old collie was very good at recall until about 6 wks ago. Now will not come back at all and have had standoffs lasting 1 1/2 hrs!!!!!!!!Usually keep her on the lead now which makes me feel guilty. Have e-mailed a trainer for a one-2-one session to see if they can help.

14. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Great advice about not setting the dog up to fail. If you keep calling and they do not listen then it weakens your command. Best to let them go, and then go and retrieve them.! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice