Separate names with a comma.
Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.
Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dogsittingandconfused2, Jul 25, 2018.
Taken down due to good news events: first big battle won
If it were me (and please be aware I'm not the "norm" and can be viewed as a bit of an extremist) I would get her spayed and when its done tell your sister there was an emergency situation, it looked like pyo so you did it to save the dog's life. If she is really only keeping her to breed from and make money that knocks that on the head so then offer to keep her. That won't of course stop your sister going out and getting some other poor unfortunate bitch but it should hopefully solve the problem for this one.
ok im with @rottiepointerhouse on this, Id get her speyed pdq, either say it was pyo, can be quite common after a season as bacteria can enter, as well as escape
as shes already got a scar there, say nothing, get it done and in 6 months no one would know any difference
although im guessing, going by the £'s you say you suspect she paid, a vet may have worries about breathing problems under anesthetic ( or its the ultra rare blue staff and shes just another mug to fall for it )
Do you know if the dog is chipped? if not get it chipped to your name/address. Tell her that by law it has to be chipped to someone/where or theres some fine of i think £1000 ( might not be that high not sure) and if she has no permenant address........ well youre only trying to save her from breaking the law arent you
Taken down - thanks again for your help
Have her spayed.
I'd get her to the vets asap for a full check over and see if she's chipped. If not (or the chip isn't registered which happens quite a lot), get her chipped to you. And definitely book her in for a spay. If she already has a scar there then your sister won't know any different.
Just keep hold of her for as long as you possibly can and try to avoid your sister getting hold of her again. If you are caring for the dog and have paid vet bills etc, have proof of anything to show this so if there are any disputes you can show that you have been her owner for the past few months - I doubt your sister will have any records of purchase or vet stuff. You could even get her insured under your name and this would help again for any disputes.
Spay her. Then she is of no worth to your sister and you can have her as your own.
I'm with everyone else. Spayed, chipped to you & give your sister a big fat finger! Think how rewarding it would be to have rescued the poor pup, lavish love & care & train her properly. You will reap the rewards. Good luck & please come back & keep us updated x
I did not have to read past your second paragraph to give my reply. Get the dog spayed asap and as I am extreme in my regards to the ########s who treat animals like cash cows with no regards to the poor bloody animals at all, regardless of who the breeder is or relationship to you I would report them!
I know its tempting but report them but to who? What are they doing that is against the current pathetic laws? Puppy farming is legal and going on with not much monitoring so what hope is there that anything would be done about this one dog? If the OP is going to get her spayed I very much doubt her sister would want her back so I would suggest getting it done quietly without drawing any attention to her, once its done its done and can't be undone but if authorities get wind of it or the OP's sister gets wind of it before its done the whole idea could fail and the poor bitch could indeed end up as a cash cow with a life of hell.
^^^ What they all said.
Alternatively, if you find that she isn't chipped, and you can find a faraway safe home for her, she may just run away and be lost. Forever.
Hi @dogsittingandconfused2 ,
I agree with everyone else re getting her spayed. I don't want to go into too much detail, but I'm in a similar situation myself and the longer it goes on, the more I feel the dog's "owner" doesn't want her back.
I insisted on this dog being spayed before I took her in and emphasised that it was for the dog's wellbeing due to the risk of pyometra and mammary tumours. I also have a written statement from her owner giving permission stating that my own vet can treat her if and when needed. She is also registered with my vet in my name and I also have her insured, all with agreement from her "owner".
She is a lovely wee dog and I'd be happy to keep her as my own, but it's the not knowing what's happening with her "owner" that I'm finding tricky.
She has been with me for 8 months now and promises made by her owner at the beginning have not been kept.
It means that I have 3 dogs now and as this wee foster dog can be reactive/aggressive towards my younger dog (3yr old spayed female) at times without any warning, I'm having to manage them with crates, muzzles and feeding in separate rooms etc.
Good luck with your situation and I hope it all works out well in the end for both you and the dog.
this is a great idea, if your sister is really clueless thenyou coiuld say the vet insists on it
say to her she has to ssay she has habded it over to you, otjerwise the vet will demand any payments from hertell her that if she puts in the letter something along the lines of
"As at this time I am homeless, and to be able to do the best for my dog, i have handed over all care and responsibility to xxxxxx"
then the vet will be happy to take all payments from you, again to save her money and worry at this terrible time
you could also use such a letter for chip, if registered, and insurance
I agree with everyone else get her spayed and get it done now. Dont wait 2 months as vets like to spay a couple of months after a season so if you wait for her season you then may have to wait another few months to spay her at which point your sister may want her back
She wont be insured unless your sisters insuring her which from what you've said is highly unlikely. You will have to insure her yourselves though obviously spaying isnt covered by insurance
What breed is she, out of curiosity?
Does your sister know where you live?
If not........ Block, ignore and go about your business
I absolutely agree about getting her spayed. And I also wanted to say how amazing you are. You and your other half are brilliant and your tenacity and wisdom are incredible. Stick with this dog, you are the best thing to happen to her and she has a wonderful life with you both