Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Monty Update

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by GreyHare, May 3, 2011.

1. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

He is home from the Vets and has 13 teeth out, he's not even two years old yet, he is very odd looking as they have taken a biopsy of the gum and his front lip, but the good news is his felv and fiv tests came back negative

Original thread here

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Uncanny, I was just thinking of you and your cats and was going to have a rummage through the PF to see whether there was an update.

Let me get this straight because the last post I saw about his lip was that you thought that his rodent ulcer has come back again. So, the vet then realised that he needed to have his teeth removed because of gingivitis as well? Golly gosh, I am sorry GH. I presume you have been talking to Dougal about this as she went through something similar with her young lad?

13 teeth, eh? That's tough. Tougher for humans to see no doubt as gummy cats can still dismantle bones too but still...

Forgot to ask, when are you getting the results from the biopsy?

3. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

Yes sorry been a bit all emotional and yes had good PM chat with Dougal, he has suspected although I think having 13 teeth out may have confirmed it Feline Gingivitus Stomatisis complex or something like that but with maybe some of the words around other ways. The lip swelling they think is all to do with this as it does look very different from the rodent ulcer he had before but started the same way with a swollen tight shiny lip, but hopefully biopsy results should be back thursday or friday, but he needs to be on a wet anti/low allergen diet, they have recommended Hills z/d to start, with the odd biscuit as treats (this is only because I asked about treats)

The Vets say that we caught it early but I'm still a little shocked at 13 teeth and early diagnosis being in the same sentence, but after what Dougal has said and some research on the internet he is/was prime candidate, with flu/chlamydia and sensitive tum.

4. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Ok, fingers are crossed for thursday/friday. Why the hills z/d? To sort his sensitive stomach?

5. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

I think it's something to do with the bodies response to attacking the plaque is triggered by an auto immune response type thing brought on by a possible allergen, and the food recommended by the Vet either Applaws or something else and I pointed out that Applaws wet is complimentary not complete and he wasn't supposed to eat dry that they suggested z/d - hope that kind of makes sense as I'm dazed and confused at the mo as they thought it may only be one or two teeth that needed removing not thirteen.

I have also seen that Slippery Elm is recommended how do I give that and in what amounts as you have recommended that before haven't you ?

6. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Makes perfect sense. I had a quick nosy round Dr Addie's site and they say that they are not certain why certain foods are better than others when it comes to FGS. Interesting.

They also mention slippery elm there but instead of adding it to the food to help rebuild the lining of the stomach or to help ease constipation or diarrhoea, they use it as a syrup so that you can apply it directly to the sores in the mouth. Might be worth a try. Have you asked your vet whether s/he agrees?

From quickly reading around the area though there seem to be an awful lot of unknowns todate, with many findings or possible solutions resting on one single case study. Hopefully, that will change...

7. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Poor Monty :( Everything crossed here for good results, we have two gummies well they have two teeth each :eek: they manage wet or mince meat fine, well assuming of course they like it that day :rolleyes:

8. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

Yes it all seems a bit well this worked for this cat so it may work for yours kind of thing, he hasn't or didn't have any ulcers in his mouth just very red inflamed gums and swollen lip and one tooth that had a hole in it, he hasn't had any of the showing pain, not eating an excess salvia/dribbling that many people have had as symptoms, but his teeth were all loose and wobbly and came out complete thankfully, but brushing teeth is now a must and Dougal has recommended a toothpaste and we go back on Thursday for a talk about the diet and after care but I think it's also a chance for them to get googling some of the questions I was asking today.

Dally fingers crossed he's not that fussy with food as long as it's there he'll eat it. How is your spotty one as he was at the Vets today wasn't he ?

9. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Yes, it is and that's why I was going to suggest leaving out the treats and adhere strictly to the z/d for the moment at any rate in order to minimise any possible allergens that may act as triggers if this is the case. At present you don't actually know if it is immune mediated but by doing this you may ( hopefully! ) find the symptoms abate which would also help to pinpoint the actual cause a lot quicker! Of course the biopsy should also aid the diagnosis but in the meantime I'd leave all other foods out of his diet for this reason.

It's good the FeLv and FiV came back negative. Also cats recover very quickly from multi-extractions like this so I hope he's better soon.

10. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

You lucky, lucky person :D

He is currently flat on his back with his legs in the air :D nothing concrete to report waiting for a scan date :rolleyes:

11. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

The Maudey Bag is the fussy one, she turns her nose up at most things yet shhh don't tell Hobbs will eat Donner Kebab meat, Sound like he's coping at the mo, and I thought pets were meant meant to bring joy and stress relief into our lives :rolleyes:

12. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I think GH meant feeding the dry z/d as treats. :)

13. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

Yes I did, we sadly have a little bedtime routine of lights out doors shut couple of treats, toothpaste (was using Logic which is meant to be good and work for a lot of people) then bed, this cause problems last night because Moo was nil by mouth, but also I like to hide them around the house for a little hide seek treat too.

14. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

Oh Monty :(
    That must have been a shock, 13 teeth seems like an awful lot. Poor little mite!

Hope he's back to himself before too long :)

15. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

Judging by the way he has launched himself across the bed in hot pursuit of a fly I think I might be sooner rather than later :eek:

16. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

I'm relieved to hear this! Didn't understand why vet had consented to alternatives hence the post!

17. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Sorry to hear poor Monty has had to have so many of his teeth removed.Hope you get some positive news soon x

18. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

Well he hasn't lost his appetite and it's very hard to to be mushing up his food with water whilst he is trying to mug you because he's just so starved :rolleyes:

I managed to take a couple of pictures this morning so here he is Brave little Soldier

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

Gorgeous as ever, stitches 'n' all :)

20. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

What a gorgeous trooper! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice