Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Monthly outgoingsfor dog walking

Discussion in 'Dog Walking' started by Aej, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Aej

Aej PetForums Newbie

Hi

I'm in the process of setting up my own dog walking business. I just wondered if those of you who already run one wouldn't mind giving me a rough estimate of any monthly outgoings please?

Thank you in advance for any answers/advice :)

Smith's Tails likes this.
  2. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper Banned

Insurance £145 pa (that's for two people)
    Web hosting £84 pa
    Fuel approx £1,200 pa
    Mobile phone £240 pa
    Broadband £300 pa
    Wellies £150 pa (three pairs a year)
    Car maintenance £250 pa all being well
    Printer ink/paper £20pa

And

Gravey Bones £2.50 per week!

As a start up you'll need a advertising budget as well.

#2 Dr Pepper, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    Tania C, Dan76 and rona like this.
  3. Aej

Aej PetForums Newbie

That's great, thank you for your reply

4. FriendlyFours

FriendlyFours PetForums Junior

Ouch your web hosting is expensive, I would recommend Smarthosting who i'm with, extremely good support if ever needed and only pay £27.39 a year (Including free domain)
    Link below :
    SmartHosting

You also could reduce the cost of your business mobile by getting monthly Tescos mobile Moto G4 (Amazing phone btw) 1000 mins / unlimited txt / 2gb internet.
    As part of the contract is to pay off the mobile :
    1st Year : £198
    Years after : £132

Everything else sounds spot on with my figures aswell

Dr Pepper likes this.
  5. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper Banned

Thanks, the web hosting is a package for three websites, so good point it'll be cheaper for one.

I've got the Moto G4 as well!! Unfortunately the only half way decent signal we get here is with Vodafone so we don't have a lot of choice provider wise :( Thanks though, I've just checked and apparently Talk Mobil use Vodafone I'll see what they've got.

FriendlyFours likes this.
  6. FriendlyFours

No problem mate, in this business best to keep outgoings as low as possible :D

7. petRsawUs

petRsawUs PetForums Newbie

I have just been looking at dog walking costs and was surprised at the cost but now this makes me realise that its not just some bloke (or lady) charging me loads for being paid to have a pleasant walk with my dog!

Jelevents and FriendlyFours like this.
  8. Northampton Dog Walker

Northampton Dog Walker PetForums Junior

In reply to comments on web hosting I'd advise against going too cheap. Cheap hosting usually means sharing the server with large numbers of other websites, and increased downtime. Google ranking factors now include things like site loading speed.

I agree it's not worth spending more on hosting if your website isn't optimised for search engines. If you understand SEO however or plan to learn it then hosting will eventually become something you focus on. My hosting is probably more expensive than the vast majority of people on here. However i know how many certain keywords are searched locally each month and the gain from being top of Google would be huge for me.

To me hosting and my other website costs are great value for the reward they will give me. It certainly offers the best ROI you will get. Only free word of mouth matches it. To me it seems crazy to try and limit hosting costs to £30.00 a year yet spend over £100.00 on business cards, leaflets etc.

I've spent money on A6 postcards and will invest in signwriting for vehicle but i guarantee my greatest ROI will always be the website. As I've already said though hosting is just one aspect of SEO and I'm fully aware that most dog walkers don't understand SEO whereas they understand more traditional forms of advertising like leaflets.

Gary

iandavis likes this.
  9. FriendlyFours

Hello Gary,

If I'm honest the website is just a formality for us, I literally threw it together and let it do its thing, I'm on page one of Google for what I need locally.
    Me and other local walkers share work as we're so busy and most of the time need to turn it away, this is mainly through recommendation then the website.

Same with business cards and posters, it's all just extra expenses that don't really benefit us, in a more populated area with more walkers I could completely understand.

Smith's Tails likes this.
  10. Northampton Dog Walker

Northampton Dog Walker PetForums Junior

Thanks, your reply sort of illustrates my point. Throwing together a website isn't going to get you the traffic from it but if you are on page 1 for the keywords you want you must be doing something right, or everyone in your region are the same in the way they view their website.

Word of mouth can be huge, no doubt about it but that's easier once you're at least partially established.

Business cards and leaflets have their place but the cost to benefit ratio will never match a well designed website. Leaving leaflets in places like pet shops and vets will not even get seen by most visiting those places. I never even noticed display boards until i was looking for them to place my leaflets. Even if only 60 people a month Google the term dog walker and your location a month you can assume these are people really looking to use your service. Sure some of that traffic will be dog walkers checking their own ranking position but not many.

Since I'm new and don't have relationships with other dog walkers yet my business has been coming from places like Gumtree. It's no accident that Gumtree appears well in Google for couple of my keywords. Most directories don't appear well so listing on them is for a backlink rather than in any hope of new customers.

Each person's area will be slightly different. In mine there are lots of competitors but also lots of dog owners. I know not all competitors are as busy as they'd like to be. Locally to me it's a small number doing really well, probably those who are established longest and those who understand good marketing. I'd say most competitors have a website but very few are doing themselves justice online. Most using wix or vistaprint to host their website will never see a proper return on their investment.

Gary

11. Dan76

Dan76 PetForums Newbie

Doc,

quick question.

Can I put the cost of my new muck boots through the business? Also, I only have my iPhone as a do it all phone. I don't use anything for outgoing calls, however, the social media side uses up lots of my data plan. My bill is only £17.50 per month. Maybe not worth doing?

Cheers,

Dan

12. joface

joface PetForums Member

Hi Dan, you can't put the cost of footwear through your business as it is considered dual purpose i.e. there's every chance you will wear them when not working. Same goes for clothing UNLESS it has your company logo on it which therefore means it is a uniform & therefore tax deductible. The general rule with expenses is that it has to be 'wholly & exclusively' for business.

Regarding your phone you can claim a % of your mobile phone costs, the tricky bit being how much. If you're on a contract its difficult to prove the personal/business split but I think if you genuinely use it 50/50 personal/business then claim 50% or whatever split you feel you can quantify and err on the side of caution. That's what I did anyway when I was self employed

Seonag and Dan76 like this.
  13. Dan76

Dan76 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the reply Jo. I appreciate the dual purpose but these boots are solely for work only. Not to worry. The phone I will split 50/50.

joface likes this.
  14. joface

joface PetForums Member

Ok, as long as you are aware re the boots as they are not an allowable expense unless they are protective i.e. steel toe cap or have your logo on them making them a uniform. even if you promise never to use them privately, its not how it works with HMRC, they automatically consider them 'normal' clothing therefore not allowed.

15. Dan76

Dan76 PetForums Newbie

I won't be claiming for the boots. The "not to worry" was an oh well :)

joface likes this.
  16. Seonag

Seonag PetForums Junior

Wonder if it would be possible to put company logo on boots too to make them part of the uniform

17. joface

joface PetForums Member

If you could it would make them 'uniform' but if it cost more than the 20% tax saving its not worth it :)

18. Ownedbymany

Ownedbymany PetForums Senior

I claim for half of the boots I buy each year because there is no way I would go through so many pairs if I wasn't doing this job.

My accountant has said she's managed to argue that they are necessity for another dog walker but that depending on who ends up dealing with it they may get disallowed. She said if I don't claim for every single pair I would stand a better chance of them accepting them as an expense. Everything else clothing wise has to have a logo though as they don't wear out as quickly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice