Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

'Mongrels' do we have them anymore?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by bluesupero, Oct 25, 2012.

1. bluesupero

bluesupero PetForums Member

Silly general question really, But are there actually any 'mongrels' any more.
    When I was growing up, that was what everybody had, some really beauties.
    I understand that neuturing is the standard thing now and dogs don't take themselves out for walks.
    BUT, surely , technically the 'new' crossbreeds are mongrels, as such.
    There seems to be a new one every week. and quite often they are dearer than the pure breed.
    Plus, how are they bred after the initial one?? ie. an aquaintance has a cavachon and has bred her with a bichon friese, so those pups can't be cavachons anymore, as they are more bf, but she is still selling them at 700.00??
    Do the cross breeds ever have papers from kennel club, how are they proven to be what the breeder says they are?
    I love all dogs, so none of this is anti anything, But Its just something that baffles my simple mind. (I do love the labradoodle :D)

2. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

I call my three mongrels all the time... One really is a bitsa mix and the other two dont have papers with them ..

A few people round here have interesting dogs... Mixes from overseas that dont resemble the kind of mix you see here... I love them.

3. grumpy goby

grumpy goby Grumpy wench.

I think people still dogs of unknown heritage as mongrels....

Im sure there is a technical difference.... like a cross breed is a cross between two pedigrees (or their subsequant filial generations) and a mongrel is where one or both parent are mix breeds.

ie a pedigree lab x pedigree poodle is an f1 cross breed; a labradoodle x collie is a mongrel

Im sure someone here can correct me if im wrong...im no expert

4. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I think a mongrel is a dog of unknown ancestry and as most matings today would seem to be planned the ancestry is known. Like you say in the old days dogs roamed the streets and you'd sometimes see groups of dogs, if they mated who would know what with? When I was a kid fifty years ago I can hardly remember a pedigree dog and when we got a Dane it was very very rare in our part of London to see a dog like that. Now it's usually cross breeds you see and what breed is mixed into a pup mostly known

5. bluesupero

So once a 'named' cross breed has been bred, ie jug, chug etc you can't breed a known crossbreed from them?, as you will never get that mix back again and start having 'throwbacks'??? so confusing.

Twas easier when a mongrel was a mongrel LOL.

I expect you can get some lovely ones from rescues.
    When I was little, no~one really knew their dogs heritage, I remember some lovely dogs in my street we grew up with.
    plus I remember there were always dogs out on their own.

6. BlueBeagle

BlueBeagle PetForums VIP

I own a mongrel :) I basically have no idea what is in her although lots of people say there is Chihuahua in her but I think that maybe just coincidence! There is definitely some spitz in her though! She has a very curly tail :lol:

[​IMG][/IMG]

7. bluesupero

She is beautiful, blue beagle :)

8. BlueBeagle

BlueBeagle PetForums VIP

Thank you :)

9. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Im proud to say my Millie is a mongrel - no stupid names in this house lol . Given to us at 10months we have no idea who her prents are or should I say what her parents were.

Edited to add: She may look like a Rottie - But is 20.3Kg ;-) at 3.5 yeats old. She def has Rottie in there but quite likely a few others to ;-)

#9 Milliepoochie, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  10. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

At the rescue I volunteer for, we work with pound dogs and we get very few what I would call traditional mongrels, most are what you would call breeds (whether they meet the breed standard or have known parentage or be recognised as a type etc they are what the average person would call a breed) i.e. staffie, rottie, mastif, lurcher, jack russell, collie being the most common. Less common but still regularly appear are the labradors, the english bulls and springers.

We do get alot of what we call terrier types, which may have some recognisable terrier breed to the expert but are normally rusty or black and tan, rough or smooth coated and look like little JRT types.

Was the same at the local rescue who takes in poundies that I did some volunteering at the other day.

I guess in my mind a mongrel is a little brown short haird dog, or a little black and tan short haired dog trotting garound the streets.... but sure they come in many shapes and sizes - but you no idea really of parentage

Maybe it seems that most dogs in the rescue have at least one easily identifable breed, probably staffie that makes it obvious they are a staffie x or a collie x or rottie x which is then what they get labelled as.

Suppose my two are good old mongrels; the black and white one for sure has people guessing as some kind of mix between staff x ebt x jrt x collie . My new pup who is not so much a pup is staffie something, people think boxer but he is very lean and lanky for two quite chunky breeds.. who knows we don't even know what mum is as was found dumped in a park as a baby.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

I've got one- he looks like this
    [​IMG]

People seem very precious about the term - like its derogatory- especially if they have paid mega bucks for a "designer" cross.

12. Bisbow

Bisbow PetForums VIP

Holly is a mongrel, no other word for her,mongrels are the best

[​IMG]

13. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

I have a mongrel, always will have mongrels. All my friends have mongrels (aside from friends on here etc). I don't count designer crosses as mongrels, I count them as crossbreeds, a mongrel to me being a mix of 3 or more breeds.

14. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

I think a crossbreed is technically when you cross two full pedigree dogs.

And mongrels are every other type of cross.

I had a mongrel growing up - brilliant dog.

But nowadays people are selling cross breeds from their homes for hundreds of pounds, Advertising them as designer dogs, when really they're just mongrels and used to be the 'in return for a donation' kind of dog.

15. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I dont really differentiate between crossbreeds and mongrels, mongrels has always been a bit derogatory so I tend to say cross or crossbreed more often. My childhood dogs were true mongrels of totally unknown parentage. I have a friend with a mongrel or cross of three different large breeds and there are crosses that come to agility classes though I suppose it is definitely true there are more pure breeds about now.

16. Mrs White

Mrs White PetForums Member

I just call my Pit/Dogo/Boxer a mutt...and that's when I'm being nice to her:D

She gets called everything under the sun most days;)

17. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Interesting - when I think about it, I definitely knew more purebreed dogs as a child than mongrels.

I call my purebreed Westie a mongrel :D

18. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

I've got a mongrel, I think he's stunning but I am biased :D

[​IMG]

I've got a lurcher too, which is technically a mongrel with a title :lol:

19. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

I have 3 mongrels.

1 GSD x who we have no idea if there is actually any GSD in there at all as he was a rescue.

1 GSD x who I know his dad was a GSD and his mum some kind of Staffie/Lab cross.

1 Collie x who we just guess at being a Colle x JRT.

I know the parentage of the other two.

I prefer to call my mongrels "pavement specials" I heard a woman use it for her new kitten :lol: it sounds very fitting.

20. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

If you crossed your two together EmC you would get a 'Rory' - our old dog, he was built like the staffiex markings of the B&W, we believe he was staffiexcollie but only really worked it out, out of curiosity and people wanting to know what such a handsome dog was :D he could have been anything though and just happen to look like that mix.

P1010549 (Small).JPG

Personally I would of always believed that a dog of unknown parentage or a complete mix (ie more than 2) is really a mongrel, but the term seems to have taken on some bad meaning, I guess people just always want to know what a dog is especially a good looking one as they want one too. My friends son had a papilon x lhasa (a phasa???? :)) and he mated with a bichon x JRT (a brussel ??? :)) they have the two pups who look completely different from each other but are equally gorgeous, people are always wanting to know what they are and as they know they tell them, I don't think I would dream of calling them mongrels in front of their owners, I think mix breed might be a more acceptable term nowadays, no idea why just one of those words that has become un pc for some reason :001_unsure:.

#20 GingerRogers, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice