Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Molly Sugden

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by turkeylad, Jul 4, 2009.

1. turkeylad

turkeylad PetForums VIP

İ was so sorry to read today about the sad death of Molly Sugden - may she RİP and keep em rolling with Laughter!!!

2. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I know, it's so sad :( Both her and Wendy Richard's gone :(

3. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

yes i was sad to hear of her death to, RIP Molly.:)

4. turkeylad

turkeylad PetForums VIP

Are You Being Served?

featured humour based on sexual innuendo, misunderstandings, mistaken identity and occasional slapstick. In addition, there were sight gags generated by outrageous costumes the characters were sometimes required to wear for store promotions, and gaudy store displays frequently featuring malfunctioning robotic mannequins. The show is remembered for its prolific use of double entendres.

The main humorous base of the series was a merciless parody of the British class system.[citation needed] This permeated every interaction and was especially evident in the conversations between the maintenance men and the ostensibly higher-class store personnel.[citation needed] The episodes rarely left the store, and to parody the stereotype of the British class system, characters rarely addressed each other by their given names, even after work.

The main characters included stereotypes as the effeminate Mr. Humphries, who lived with his mother; Captain Peacock, the haughty floorwalker who purportedly fought in the North Africa Campaign of World War II (but was actually in the Service Corps); the snobbish and boisterous Mrs. Slocombe with her ever-changing hair colour; Miss Shirley Brahms, a young, attractive, working-class, cockney-speaking junior assistant to Mrs. Slocombe; Mr Rumbold, the autocratic, obsequious (to Mr Grace), easily confused section manager; Mr Lucas, the young, money-less, woman-chasing junior salesperson; and Mr Grace, the very old, rich, woman-catching store owner.

The show spawned the catch phrase "Are you free?", usually said by Captain Peacock to the staff; more often than not, the staff are noticeably free, and each would look solemnly from side to side before answering, "Yes, I'm free, Captain Peacock." John Inman remarked, when Mr. Humphries trilled, "I'm free!", it became his own personal catchphrase. Another recurring catch phrase was "they'll ride up with wear", about the length of the sleeves.

During its run, the series attracted some mild criticism for its reliance on sexual stereotypes and sexual double entendres, including jokes about Mrs. Slocombe's "pussy" (cat) e.g. Mrs Slocombe: "Animals are very psychic; the least sign of danger and my pussy's hair stands on end". John Inman's camp portrayal of Mr. Humphries as an effeminate man could easily be misinterpreted by viewers. Inman pointed out that Mr. Humphries' true sexual orientation was never explicitly stated in the series, and David Croft said in an interview that the character was not homosexual, but "just a mother's boy".[2] With a broad mixture of stereotypical gay characteristics, some apparent heterosexual attractions, and always picking up on ambiguous words such as 'queen', 'gay' and 'camp', viewers were left wondering about Mr. Humphries' sexual orientation. In an episode of the spin-off Grace & Favour, the character is further described as neither a "woman's man" nor a "man's man" and as being "in limbo".

5. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

Aww sad..:( i grew up watching her...loved her

6. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Bless her..........
    another of the old school gone..:(

7. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Such a wonderful Lady. RIP Mollie

8. turkeylad

turkeylad PetForums VIP

A loss of one of the greats of British Comedy!!

9. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

So sad :( RIP Molly

10. 0nyxx

0nyxx PetForums VIP

Molly Sugden was a very good actress both in comedy & straight roles she'll be sadly missed:(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice