Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Molly is upset.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by kat&molly, Apr 9, 2011.

1. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

I'm looking after a Sprollie boy for 3 weeks , hes been good as gold up until now. Hes fine with Jay, and Scruff is flirting like mad with him-if dogs flutter eyelashes then thats what she would be doing!!
    The problem is Molly , she wont stay in the same room as him. My last foster dog attacked her-she pushed her luck and pinched his kong. I thought this boy would be a good experience for her as he hasn't shown any aggressiveness at all.She hasn't liked him since he came.
    This morning in the garden I always throw treats for them I threw Moll's at the other end and his under his nose but he went and nicked hers then pinned her down and had a go- no damage to her but shes always very submissive and this has upset her more.
    I feel really bad that Moll is upset in her own home and I'm not sure whether I should send him back, or stick with it-how can it improve if she wont be in the same room?

2. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

Seems like the "resources" are the flash point, can you make sure they're seperate when treats, and high value toys like Kongs are around?

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

You dont say how long you have had him, If its only been a day or two, then it may take awhile for her to adjust, especially if she had a bad experience with a previous foster. Did you introduce them outside on neutral ground then maybe take them for a walk before bringing them in together? or did he just "appear" in her home. If so that may have contributed to the problem.
    If he just appeared, without he pre-meeting and interacting with him to have a chance to weigh him up, then she may feel even more at a disadvantage, as once inside, she is limited in the way of choices for flight or avoidence until she becomes more comfortable.

The one main thing that will cause a squabble or disruption to harmony is usually always food. I would not leave any food,treats,chews etc laying around at all. Have set meal times, with the dogs separate and supervise, bowls up and out the way, before they are let loose together. If you want to give chews or kongs again make sure they is a wide margin of space and supervised the whole time. Other factors that can cause squabbles are, attention, confined spaces,and times of hyper excitement like visitors coming.
    that can cause them to compete, so again these are things you need to watch. Is he crate trained, or can you crate train him. If he has periods of being crated in the communal areas, maybe then she can get used to him,as they are sharing space as such, but that way she can have free movement without feeling he is a threat, just while she gets used to him and builds up confidence. If there is two of you it might be worth getting them out on a few walks together on neutral ground, initially taking one dog each, so she can have some space but can walk near him, you might find that once out on a few walks outside the house they may begin to interact better. If you need to go out of course you will have to make sure they are separated at the moment.

Its worth a try to see if with management and structure in place she will begin to relax and accept him, but it needs to be done at her pace. You can to make good association when she is calm and shows interest make sure you reward and praise her to re-inforce her behaviour and make a good association with him. You will have to be careful though because it looks like he could have a bit of resource guarding going on as regards to food.

4. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Thanks, I panicked a bit I think. He landed here Wednesday tea time, I went outside and met him and we all went off for a walk- no problem. Molly is oblivious really to other dogs and people who she doesn't know, but is very submissive even with her 'friend' dogs.
    I am sure he's picking up on her 'I dont like you' vibes- a couple of times today I've seen him give her a look. He's a bit out of sorts as well and a bit clingy to me.
    I am careful with food, but I got it wrong today. I hope things improve and she gets a bit braver over the next 3 weeks- I really hope it doesn't end on a bad note for her confidence. I will be pleased if she at least stays in the same room, it must be hard for her as shes my constant shadow.
    My OH is going to build me 2 kennels outside for future foster dogs.
    Thanks again

5. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

This morning she passed to go in to another room so I called her and gave her a treat, he approached us- to see if he could have a treat and she leapt up on to the kitchen table:blink:
    I'm going to give it a few more days and if she isn't any better I will ask the owners if they will put him in to kennels until they return to the UK.:(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice