Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Mollichaff vs Dengie??

Discussion in 'Horse Health and Nutrition' started by RachJeremy, Mar 16, 2018.

1. RachJeremy

RachJeremy PetForums Senior

I am trying to do some research in what could possibly be better for my two youngsters.

At the moment i have them on Mollichaff applechaff, purely because it was there... But before they were on Dengie Hi-Fi Apple. Which they both loved and enjoyed eating. But i'm not sure really what could be better for them... My OH wants to stick to Mollichaff due to the fact it's cheaper per bag (but you get less) & it all fits in the bin. Whereas Dengie is more expensive (but you get more) but it doesn't all fit in the feed bin and you have to keep the bag together to hold the remaining chaff.

But on the other hand a few people on my yard also feed readigrass, due to the fact we don't have very good grazing...

I'm genuinely stumped as what would be better for my two babies. So any help would be grateful!

2. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

I always find this useful to refer to:

Here is a list of the percentage sugar content of the most commonly fed chaffs. High sugars have an increased risk of laminitis, obesity, tooth decay as well as poor behaviour and excitability.

% of sugars in common chaff feeds low to high -

<1% Topchop Zero
    <2% Topchop Lite
    2% Spillers Happy hoof molasses free
    2.25% Baileys Light chaff
    2.5% Dengie Hifi Molasses free
    2.5% Dengie Healthy hooves molasses free
    2.5% Baileys Alfalfa plus oil
    4 - 8% Thunderbrook Healthy Herbal
    4.1% Ossichaff Cool Hoof
    4.5% Dengie Alfa Oil
    4.5% Dengie Alfa Molasses free
    4.5% Dengie Healthy tummy
    4.5% Spillers Alfalfa pro
    4.6% Mollichaff Alfa oil
    <5% Simple Systems Lucie Stalks
    <5% Topchop Alfa
    5% Dengie Healthy hooves
    5% Spillers happy hoof
    5% Spillers Daily fibre
    5% Spillers Conditioning fibre
    5% Dodson and Horrell Safe and Sound
    5.2% Just feed Just Chop
    5.5% Honeychop lite and healthy
    5.5% Honeychop Alfa
    6 - 8% Mollichaff hoof kind
    6 - 9% Thunderbrook Healthy Herbal Muesli
    6.3 - 7.2% Mollichaff Donkey
    < 7% Simple Systems Greengold
    7% Dengie Hifi Lite
    7 - 8% Mollichaff Calmer
    < 7.5% Topchop Sport
    7.5% Baileys Alfalfa blend
    8% Dengie Alfa Lite
    8% Honeychop Senior
    8.5 - 9.5% Mollichaff Condition
    9% Dengie Hifi original
    9% Dengie Hifi Good doer
    9% Honeychop Calm and shine
    < 10% Simple Systems Timothy Chop
    < 10% Topchop Grass
    10% Dengie Alfa Original
    10% Dengie Hifi Original with apple
    10% Dengie Senior
    10.5 - 15% Mollichaff Veteran
    11% Baileys Ultragrass
    11.5% Honeychop original and plus
    12% Dengie Meadow grass
    12% Dengie Grass pellets
    12% Northern Chop Graze on
    12 - 15% Mollichaff Show shine
    13% Ossichaff Advanced
    15 - 19% Mollichaff Herbal
    15.5% Ossichaff Original and Garlic
    16 - 21% Mollichaff Original
    16 - 21% Mollichaff Extra
    17.5% Baileys Golden chaff
    17 - 22% Mollichaff Applechaff

Looking at the list... I'd definitely move away from Mollichaff. All that sugar isn't really doing any good. The dengie with apple is lower in sugar, but still not all that low. I'd be looking at something more towards the top end.

Is your horse in good condition? If so I wouldn't worry about the grazing. Good doers do better not eating rich grass all day. Readiness is basically spring grass so rich and high in energy.
    Though if your grazing is that poor, you could get a good balancer to make sure the horse is getting their vits and minerals.

3. RachJeremy

That is amazing! Thank you for this. As it's handy knowing they were better off on Dengie that Mollichaff. As soon as i opened the bag i had a bad feeling about it. They seem to be eating it fine, but i don't want to keep them on it for sure! Both mine are good doers, one being a cob and one being a Fell x Cob, and both slightly fat right now, which is ideal seeing as we're coming out of winter. They get hay, but i limit what they get because the Cob will demolish whatevers in front of him. So anything to help them both is good! I'm looking into a balancer from Horse and Pony Direct. See if they're any good. If not i will go back onto Top Spec Cool for my Fell X as she did well on that. Only took her off due to moving her onto lush grass. But since then have moved to a yard were grazing is very poor, but she still seems to have gained weight haha

4. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Haha I'm sure they're eating it fine - it's full of sugar! It's like candy to them.

If they're both good doers, do have a good think about whether they need hard feed, a lot of cob and cob types could live off air and don't always need hard feed (unless they're in heavy work - most leisure horses aren't!)

My WB gets a token amount of chaff as he's a good doer too. He basically gets a handful of the dengie good doer chaff just to mix with his supplements. The supplement is just to make sure he's getting his vits and minerals as we have poor grazing too.

RachJeremy likes this.
  5. RachJeremy

I give them a feed purely to give supplements. Both get turmeric, partly due to my colt having juvi warts. And after trying the brand i use on my mare it helped with her forelock growing (as she was a punk-pony when i got her and been battling her forelock growth for a year now!). And really they only both get a 'token' feed anyway. Literally handfuls, nothing massive at all. But that being said i don't want to give them something thats going to be worse for them!

Teddy-dog likes this.
  6. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Ahh that makes sense then. Yeah it would be best to get them onto something less sugary. TBH I'm thinking of changing the good doer down to something with less sugar as it's not all that low (even though it's labelled as a good doer) but I've only just changed his supplement so don't like to change too much at once!

Horse feed is a minefield!

7. RachJeremy

8. RachJeremy

It really is! XD you'd of thought it'd be a lot easier to sort out... But no!
    My older horse, is literally on Dodsen and Horrell Safe and Sound, been on it for years now and it works for him... But my filly, Skye won't touch it! >.< Tetley, my colt eats anything put in front of him... So i just give him a token of chaff and pony nuts at the moment so he can have his turmeric. Skye gets a pasture mix and chaff, or nuts and chaff depending on what we have. But i want to have her back on a balancer, and put Tetley on a balancer too. I've had Skye on TopSpec, and she's fine on that, so i might just put them back onto that. :\

Teddy-dog likes this.
  9. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Ahh they're lovely - and looking very well :)

10. RachJeremy

Looking very plump! XD To be fair, the colt has lost a considerable amount of weight since we got him, he came to us resembling a pot-bellied pig ahaha.

Skye just loves her food and is like her mum, just has to look at food and she puts on weight!

Teddy-dog likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice