Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

moisture in wet food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Chillis, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Chillis

Chillis PetForums Junior

it was mentioned today that becuase wet food had 70% moisture it is rubbish.
    why is moisture bad?
    :blink:

2. henry

henry PetForums VIP

It isn't! A raw chicken breast has around 70% water, the human body is mainly water. As long as the wet food is high quality such as Naturediet, Natures Menu, Natures Harvest, AG Partners, etc, it's more natural imo than dry food. When I was feeding dry (Acana, etc) I always added a good glug of warm water.

What you don't want is tinned food that is poor quality.

hobbs2004 likes this.
  3. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I think people don't like to think they are paying for 70% water. However IMO a good quality wet is better than a good quality dry, so I'd rather pay for the water in the food, if it gets me a better quality food.

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

If the food is 70percent water then for every 100 grammes you are feeding the dog is only getting nutrition from 30 grammes. It doesnt make it a bad food, just means you are feeding more weight to give the same nutrition as a dry food. Though I imagine dry food has some moisture content too.

5. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Dry food has probably the same percentage of carbohydrates which a dog doesn't need at all. A dog does need water. I know which I would therefore prefer.

Can you say where the "...it was mentioned today that becuase wet food had 70% moisture it is rubbish..." was mentioned ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice