Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Moggy vs Ped

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by RabbitMonster, Nov 11, 2012.

1. RabbitMonster

RabbitMonster Banned

For those of you with both moggies and peds, do you view your peds differently to your moggies because of the initial financial layout? Or do you see all cats as equal?

2. Aurelie

Aurelie PetForums VIP

I have had both and loved them equally. After the initial outlay there is no difference in veterinary treatment, flea and worming treatment or food costs.

I view all cats the same - through big rose tinted glasses :D

3. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

Ginger is treated just the same as the NFCs. I tell him he is a honorary wegie and the NFCs that they are really posh moggies :D. Ginger is an indoor cat just the same as the NFCs are and is fed/insured etc just the same

4. JordanRose

JordanRose Master of the Whingey Cat.

Well, I have to be honest and say yes, I see Spooks differently to Molly and the other moggies I've ever owned :blush:

I don't love him any more, but am more wary of him going out for instance. All my cats have always been outdoors but Spooks is strictly indoors with outdoor supervision only- I don't trust people in my area :mad:

He's also a COMPLETELY different character to any other cat I've had. He's like a different species to Molly! :lol:

5. spid

spid PetForums VIP

All equal as cats - all different in character.

6. Golgotha_tramp

Golgotha_tramp PetForums Senior

Cat is cat to me. Having peds was about having kittens that a) someone would let us have as indoor cats as working people b)that would compliment Mitzi c) that I was happy, ethically, with how they came to be.

7. Cats cats cats

Cats cats cats PetForums VIP

All cats are a blessing and are all equal to me :) I don't currently have any moggies but have had many and loved them just as much as my peds :)

8. smiler84

smiler84 PetForums VIP

well i only have a moggy, but i can't imagine how any cat could be much more pampered than him, even if i'd spent hundreds of pounds to buy them! so i don't think they'd be treated any differently in my house!

9. Durhamchance

Durhamchance PetForums VIP

Ooh, I'm going to have to be a little naughty here and say yes, our ped has been treated differently- but she is MY first cat.

I think due to the initial outlay I have spent far more time and money on quality food instead of supermarket brands, Insurance, and finding a vet with emergency cover.

Please dont get me wrong- our moggies never wanted for anything when I lived with my parents, but Darcy HAS to have the best of everything- she is my baby after all :eek:

10. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

What an odd question :confused:
    Meeko is my 4th cat he is a Ragdoll and an indoor cat.He is offered the very best of food,vet treatment when ever he needs it,toys/warm beds and all the love and care that he could ever ask for ,which is exactly what my 3 previous cats had,all moggies.The only difference is that I hadnt discovered PF then ;)

11. RabbitMonster

RabbitMonster Banned

I only asked just because some people do see peds as superior to moggies, simply because they spent a significant amount of money on them. I should've known that the peeps on here would never have seen their cats any different, otherwise they wouldn't all be the crazy people they are!

12. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Not directed at you as such ;),but I just find the concept that a piece of paper makes any animal superior to another in terms of love/care and attention :D

13. Notnowbernard

Notnowbernard PetForums Senior

Rosie is a pedigree as was her mum, Evie and I rehomed them so no money exchanged. Bernard and Clara are both pedigree also and I bought them as kittens from a breeder. I've had moggies all my life up until getting Siamese and can honestly say that there has been no difference in the love and care I gave or give, any of them. The only thing that changes is knowledge, as a responsible pet owner I think it's only right that you read and keep up with advances in pet care and husbandry. There are many things I'd go back and do differently now, but only because of things that I've learnt, not because of money spent or not spent.

I'm sure I speak for the majority here, regardless of if your pets are moggies or pedigrees :)

14. Merenwenrago

Merenwenrago PetForums VIP

Only had moggies here and I treat them like my children and the moments with them are priceless.

15. RabbitMonster

RabbitMonster Banned

Ahhh fair enough, my apologies :)

16. sharonchilds

sharonchilds PetForums VIP

100% agree with Spid :D

17. Monika Marta

Monika Marta PetForums Member

My parents got two black moggies and are quite crazy about them. Boys are getting all the best they can think of and are simply ruling the house :) Parents made a rather big order in online shop, food, toys etc. When courier arrived he was invited to come in by woman who take care of my Grandma when parents are away. In Poland it is best to check with courier if everything is there what you've ordered, if nothing has been broken during transport etc - that saves you a lot of hassle later. So when she opened box (with two black devils assistance of course) Courier asked if he may see THE CAT. She was quite surprised and she pointed to them. It occurred that courier was sure there must be a pedigree cat somewhere as it is not possible someone spends such amount of money on moggies. I believe he was seriously told off as she is even more bonkers about that cats than my parents :D

18. rose

rose PetForums VIP

I had a pair of brothers, siamese x devon rex identical beautiful cream boys. I lost Freddie aged 18 months :( and 6 months later decided Billy needed a friend.
    Billy (and Freddie) are very gentle kind cats so I thought very carefully about what breed as I didnt want a new cat to bully or upset Billy. Thats was why I bought a pedigree cat as I could be more sure of their temperment. I ended up buying a red point birman who looks very much like Billy except Billy is short haired. When I bought the little bundle of fluff home they touched noses, never a hiss or anything, Billy just accepted him immediately. I wondered if being a similar colour helped? Anyway, I treat and love them both the same, at the end of the day, I would rather have still had Freddie (a moggie) than a pedigree cat
    as lovely as he is. I think it depends if you just want a cat or specific requirements ie long hair, dog like, big. Then you would have to buy a pedigree to fulfill those requirments. I needed a gentle cat to go with my resident cat and thats what I got for my £400!!

Attached Files:

19. NexivRed

NexivRed Guest

I will see my Maine Coon different to my moggies, but then I see my moggies as different to each other.

For starters, at my new address I let my moggies out to roam sometimes. Not often, few times a month and not for very long. I won't do this with my Maine Coon because it's obviously a pedigree and people may get the idea of stealing it. I know the fact about them not being road savvy as well, and tbh my current cats are not great with roads hence why I don't let them out very often, if at all. It's mostly into the back garden to eat some grass as there's bugger all growing in the cattery atm.
    However, one of my moggies, Osiris is a Maine Coon lookalike. He's doesn't have the size or the lynx tips, but he's a stunning medium long haired cat. Likewise Phoenix is a gorgeous medium long haired ginger cat. Less likely to be nicked but it's always in my mind as a slim possibility. Satyr is the least likely to be stolen because he's a more common black/silver/brown tabby cat. But he is enormous and also extremely friendly so would go up to strangers.

So for me the financial investment into my Maine Coon won't mean I'll love it any more than my other cats. I couldn't anyway, as I've had Osiris for 9 years and the other two since the day they were born. But there are differences with regards to the money I have parted with. Because of the place I'm in right now I will be getting insurance for my Maine Coon for it's life because it's a good idea to, whereas with my older cats I'm better off with lump sums *if* they come up in the future. I'm also thinking of buying a safe harness to take it for a walk. Would that be stupid? :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice