Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Moggy confusion

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Kori, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Kori

Kori PetForums Junior

Hi,

I was just wondering if it's possible to work out what breeds have gone into a moggy?

Kori

2. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

i personally think you can only tell if you know the lineage as so many breeds have so many similarities. I have had people comment that my kitten looks like a bengal others thought he was an ocicat but his mum is actually an egyptian mau cross

3. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I think is very difficult if not impossible. A real moggie will be pretty impossible first or second crossed is possible.

I have two tabby sisters, and they look so completely different! If they weren't so close to each other and had similar markings then you wouldn't think they were sisters!

Lilo has a wedge(ish) shaped head like a Siamese yet Stitch's head is shorter etc
    Although they could have different dads........

But the most confusing is my Seal pointed girl who is Lilo's daughter and her dad a pure black moggie tom :confused: she is coloured like a Siamese and even has the ice blue eyes?!

So i just feel like moggies are a completely unpredicted ''breed'' lol!

x

#3 Acacia86, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  4. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Egyptian mau's are in the bengal, spotted is just a pattern and moggys can have it to.

IS there any sort of blood test to see what breeds are in moggies?

5. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

ahh didnt know much about bengals as a breed really. i will have a little search about to see if there is any dna test but i doubt it

6. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I would love to know how my moggie girl came around!! Lilo, her mum had 3 of these stunners, so if you find anything out let me know!

Pics attached from birth until now!
    x

Attached Files:

7. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Im pretty sure that both parents would have had to carry the blue eye point gene to create her? or a throw back from years ago down her line??

8. kateaitken07

kateaitken07 PetForums Junior

OMG she is the spitting of image of Bellas mummy!!! But Bels came out a silver Tabby :lol:

9. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I have no idea!! I have been trying to find out for so so long! Both are 100% moggies. This much i know for fact! I have given up and put it down to a throwback gene from years ago!
    Only she has had these beauties, her sister never did (and the same tom was used), although i do know that is possible that the girls had different dad's. x

10. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

i can say that blue eyed gene has to be carried by both parents and passed on to the kitten as it is a recessive gene the same as in humans will do a little more research with regard to markings

EDIT

ok did a little more research http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_(coat_color) tells you all about the colouring but unfortunately it doesnt look like there is any real way to tell what breed your cat is, the best you can hope to get is an informed guess from your vet

#10 ellie8024, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  11. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Thanks! I asked my vet and they just said ''one off'' at first until i told them that she had 3 of them :)

Then they said it was a gene carried from a while ago!! They never offered any kind of test. But i feel it would be impossible to know!!

Although i am blonde haired and blue eyed yet my whole family are dark haired and dark eyed!!! lol!!! My mum was blue(ish) eyed but had dark hair! So i guess my pets are as strange as me ;)

xx

12. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

sounds a little like my eldest daughter who is a bit of a genetic throwback lol i have very dark hair and green eyes and she and my mum are blonde with blue eyes

13. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Lol!! Bless her! xxx

14. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

This is a really good thing with human eye colours:

What Color Eyes Would Your Children Have?

I cant have kids, but if By some miracle I did it would have 50% of being brown, 35% blue & 15% green based on our familys :)

15. Emma_Williams

Emma_Williams PetForums Junior

I wonder what would happen if I had kids. My eyes change colour or are multi-coloured. Right now from pupil outwards they are brown, yellowy gold and a greeny blue. I've been told that some people get 2 colours but its highly unlikely to get 3 and the fact that the colours change is very unusual.
    My big brother has a different dad but his are always one solid colour but change too. Often between gold and a light brown. The gold is freaky. Looks like he has cats eyes or something.

16. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Lol!!! They sound great :D mine do change colour but not as dramatic! They are blue but can go grey, light blue and darker blue. Also have a green tinge :confused: i have no idea how they change!!
    x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice