Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Modern living

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by bumbarrel, Jul 27, 2018.

1. bumbarrel

bumbarrel PetForums Senior

I live in a rural area - scattered cottages, narrow lane.
    2 male Labs from a cottage 1/4 mile away have always been a pain, particularly when anyone has a bitch in season.

Neighbour opposite (DB) has 2 Norfolk Terrier bitches (she used to breed them) so not happy to find that one of the Labs hat got in her garden and possibly mated one of her bitches.Discussed mismate jabs with me and then vet.

Vets is 3 miles away, market town ringed with new estates.

DB to vet.: I bet you don't have use this (mismate) often.
    Vet:: Goodness it's 3 or 4 times a week.
    DB Really?!!!
    Vet: They build houses too close together - and people are stupid!

BTW Labs are getting castrated (at long last).

2. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

My dogs are usually neutered by the rescues but years ago it was just bitches that were spayed , they didn't bother about the boys.
    Libby chi wasn't spayed when I adopted her as she underweight but I got her done as soon as possible.
    Is your neighbour going to have her dogs spayed now?

3. bumbarrel

No, she isn't. One of them is about 13 anyway but she sees no reason to spay either, after all she had them on her property it was the Labs that were straying.

I can see her point, though my own bitch is spayed.

4. leashedForLife

unless she was being bred, I wouldn't keep a F intact - the risk of Pyometra is far too high, & mammary cancer is 4X as common in F dogs as it is in F humans; by the time it becomes symptomatic, it has usually metastasized to the lungs, & nothing can be done; the dog is euthanized.
    Almost 7 out of every 10 F dogs diagnosed with mammary malignancies in the U-S, are euthed at the same vet-appt as their Dx [68%, per research].

If she's not a possible-future dam, vets in the U-S recommend spay B4 first estrus [so by 5 to 7-MO, depending on breed / size] as that eliminates 99% plus of the risk of breast cancer.
    It has nothing to do with "whose property they're on" or "whose dog is TO BLAME" or more to the point, which owner is at fault - the risk to the intact F dog is the primary concern, in my eyes.

I hope her younger F reaches 13, too - but i wouldn't bet the farm on it.
    - terry

5. bumbarrel

Firstly the bitch is not mine.
    Secondly this is someone who has bred dogs for 50 years and hasnt lost a bitch to pyometra.

She is unlikely to listen to me about pyo.

Picklelily likes this.
  6. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I hope the labs stop roaming once castrated but they might not so she could have them camping on the doorstep at next season.

I am somewhat impressed that the vet is prescibing so much mismate. That suggests that either people are aware of it and are asking for it or they are at least seeking and taking their vets advice.

Re your neighbour i guess shes been lucky re the pyo. I have no personal experience but it seems to crop up alot on the vet and animal rescue tv programmes alot.

I was watching one of the vets programmes and an owner came in with an elderly bitch who had pyo. The owners had been against spaying primarily because they were worried about losing the bitch under anaesthetic but the vet said that brcause the dog was elderly they had a much higher risk of not surviving the pyo spay.

ais_rose and leashedForLife like this.
  7. Katalyst

Katalyst A Lanky Lurcher and a Delinquent Dobermann

I almost feel like the multiple alizin jabs that vet does per week are preferable to the number of mystery mutt puppies some of our clients seem quick to sell for a thousand pounds a throw after their bitch is "accidentally" mated.

I'm not remotely anti breeder and support people's right to breed and buy from ethical breeders as much as I support their right to rehome from a shelter/rehoming centre (I detest the word rescue) but I can entirely understand why so many people hold a hardline "adopt don't shop" mentality given how many people bring (for want of a less awful way of putting it) entirely pointless puppies or ridiculous crosses into the world.

I count the "oh we're letting her have one litter for the experience"/most oops litters/those breeding from untitled/health tested where applicable/non sporting/insert-proven-purpose-here as just as awful and responsible for full shelters as puppy farms.

Anyway. That's my rant for the day. I'll bog off under my rock again now.

#7 Katalyst, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Why are wandering dogs always labs! I wonder if they appeal to the less responsible owner but we have certainly had ones round here over the years and people have always accepted it if their bitches get mated. It has got loads better recently though and it is almost unheard of to see free roaming dogs. The amount that never come home (presumably a bullet) probably has a bit to do with it. As for mismate it is nothing new (well Alzin is but there have been other drugs). When I worked for a vet in the early 70s there were plenty of bitches brought in for it. As for pyo, if the lady has been breeding and does not want to spay her older bitches why should she. I have always had mine spayed but more to avoid seasons than specifically for pyo which I think I proved when I had a bitch that was not spayed because I wanted a litter and she had such short and untroubled seasons I did not spay her after the litter. Then again I would always recommend spaying with one of the reasons being the avoidance of pyo to say nothing of mammary tumours. Going back again to the early 70s where spaying happened but was not so common we saw LOTS of pyos and bad mammary tumours.

Katalyst and bumbarrel like this.
  9. leashedForLife

QUOTE, bumbarrel:

... the bitch is not mine. [She's] bred dogs for 50 years and hasn't lost a bitch to pyometra.

She is unlikely to listen to me about pyo.

I know she's not Ur bitch, nor do I expect anyone to listen to opinion at 3rd hand; I just laid out the stats, for any interested party. *shrug*
    What an owner does, in regard to them, is their decision. :)

I would be truly amazed if, along with evading Pyo for 50-years, she'd also managed to avoid mammary malignancies in 5 decades of intact bitches!
    If she has, she should buy lottery tickets every few months. :D

#9 leashedForLife, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice