Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Mock spray

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by MollyMilo, Oct 24, 2012.

1. MollyMilo

MollyMilo PetForums VIP

I've posted this in the behaviour section so apologies if you've seen something similar!

Milo my 10 month old Siamese has started mock spraying! Goes behind the Tv, vibrates his tail and but no liquid anywhere to be seen

Do your male cats do this? Why? :confused:

2. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

It's a tail quiver. :)

Merson does this when he is very pleased to see me. Even if I have been sitting on the sofa all night, when he comes into the room, he comes over to me and his tail starts to go - exactly the way it would if he were 'spraying'.

When a cat is very excited and happy to greet its owner he will hold his tail straight in the air and it will quiver or twitch. This is the cat's way of saying he is so pleased to see you that he is overcome with emotion.

So Milo is either very happy at whatever programme is on the tv or he's a bit shy so hides behind the tv when he's excited. :D

3. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

None of my cats are allowed out the front door, but it is Monty's mission in life to make a break for it in that direction whenever he can.
    Once out there he gallops along the row of houses, backing up to the front walls in a positive frenzy of erect tail waggling and mock spraying. Nothing comes out and there is no odour, but he goes through all the motions and seems mightily pleased with himself while doing it.
    His daft bog brush of a white tail collects all the cobwebs from the walls which he then brings back inside when I capture him!
    He doesn't do this in the house, and I have not seen him do it in the back garden, but the front is a different matter completely.
    I also have a 17 year old female that does a mini version of this against the sofa on occasion.

#3 Paddypaws, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  4. MollyMilo

MollyMilo PetForums VIP

Thanks for your replies!

How funny cats are!! I guess it's similar to a dog wagging its tail when happy and exited! :D

5. sarahecp

sarahecp Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks

Frank has never done it but Seb does all the time to me and the sofa :D

A couple of years ago we had a friends cat come to stay for 2 weeks while she was moving house, a lovely grey moggy called Dash, he did it to everyone and everything, he looked like he was smiling whilst doing it :)

6. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Merson is the only one of my four who does this and only to me - never to the OH. But then, he just lurves his Mummy slave SOOOOOOO much.......... :001_wub: :001_wub: :001_wub: :001_wub: :001_wub:

:D :D

7. sarahecp

sarahecp Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks

Seb doesn't do it to my OH, he's such a Mummy's boy and he just loves me, oh and the sofa so much :D

8. McSquirtle

McSquirtle PetForums Senior

I noticed Dexter do this once! Except it wasn't on me, he backed right into a corner in my bedroom, tail quivering! I shooed him away and smelled the area like a demented bloodhound but there was nothing there thank god.
    Very strange!

9. MollyMilo

MollyMilo PetForums VIP

Haha that is exactly what I did!

Of course this worried them, thinking I had turned into a dog! :eek:

10. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

Monty shakes his tail feather for his Mama all the time but only for daddy when he has food and Maudey stamps and shakes her tail and bum right in your face or by your leg when she need loving.

11. rose

rose PetForums VIP

My Billy does this all the time! Tail wiggling feet paddling! oh the joy! I have had a few gasps when guests have seen him!!!

12. MummyCat

MummyCat PetForums Member

Why does my Saffy do this to the fridge then??? :confused::confused::confused:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice