Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Mobile phone users be warned!!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JSR, Jul 8, 2009.

1. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Sampuppy and sequeena like this.
  2. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

I have already taken action for my number and my children have phones also and I don't want all and sundry ringing them (they are registered in my name). :)

3. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Thanks for that JSR, just added myself and the OH to the ex-directory :)

4. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

Heard about this on the radio, presumably they can't register you if you are pay-as-you-go?

5. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

Apparently this directory is an opt in only one. So unless you opt in your number won't appear on it. However I am always shocked when the bank phones me on my mobile but have no explaination as to where they got my number from. My mobile is for emergency contact only for my disabled daughter's school to call me if there's a problem and on the rare occasion I am not at home (ie walking the dog, shopping).

Not for people I don't know to phone me up and try to sell me stuff. I have since registered my mobile number with the telephone preference service and written to the CEO of Lloyds TSB asking that his company remove my mobile number from their records.

I have a home phone for that sort of thing and if I'm ignoring your sales calls on that I am unlikely to answer just because you're phoning my mobile. (sneaky wotsits started texting me to call them back when it became appearent I wouldn't answer their sales calls). Rant over!

6. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

I think its wrong! I get enough sales calls on my flaming landline! luckily im on pay as u go .....what happened to our privacy be respected???:(

7. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

i don't answer numbers that i don't know, if my mates have a new number the know to text me or leave me a message as i don't call numbers i don't know back either!

So sales companies will have to get to me the old fashioned way, my landline, which as only our mums call us on it it rarely rings. If it's a sales call i hang up. also we're not in alot so they can phone it as much as they want as 90% of calls are during the day! :001_tt2: i don't get home till 7pm or later HA HA!

They can have my phone numbers all they want! they won't get anywhere with them :001_tt2:

8. SemolinaPilchard

SemolinaPilchard PetForums Member

Wow thanks for the info :)

9. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Go ex directory on your landline x

10. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

Going ex directory won't make a difference if you don't tick those little boxes on things that stops companies sharing your details with carefully selected third parties.

It is a very sneaky way of them getting permission to call you even if you are ex directory. The best thing to do is register with the telephone preference service.

11. sammyben

sammyben Guest

If you actually go onto the website for the company who are doing this (don't have the link as its in an email at work but the company is 118800), they explain on there that they are not actually giving out mobile numbers to any tom dick and harry. It's not like a phone book where you can get access to anyones numbers.

What happens is, if you are looking for a mobile number for a specific person you give this company their full name and the town they live in. They will then try and trace a number for you, if and when they do...they will then send a message to the other person to ask if you want to get in touch with this person. The charge for getting someone's number is £1 and they will only charge if they manage to find the person you are looking for!

I was on their site today as I was the same as everyone else thinking, this is outrageous surely they can't give out your mobile number to everyone!!!

HTH x

12. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

We are ex directory and still get cold calls. I just put the phone down on them.

I never answer my mobile unless I know the number calling I have 3 phones 2 are pay as you go the other is on a contract I took out last week and I don't even know the number myself. Ben does though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice