Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Mobile phone advice

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by havoc, Oct 14, 2013.

1. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Has anyone ever bought an unlocked phone from ebay or similar and did it work out OK? I need a 3g sim free mobile because I'm stuck in a contract with 3 and the phone that came with the deal is a pile of poo. I don't know where to start except that I know it must be 3g and the less 'smart' the better. I just want to be able to make and receive phone calls.

#1 havoc, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  2. sharonbee

sharonbee PetForums VIP

I've never bought one but then my phone at the moment only cost me £16 from vodafone and that had £10 free credit, it has lasted a few years but is very basic, no internet, no camera, no picture messaging just calls and texts lol.

3. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

I know I can buy a cheap phone anywhere. Unfortunately with 3 it must be a 3g phone which bumps the price up considerably. I'd love a basic phone with buttons and there must be people selling them off second hand because everyone wants smart phones now where everything is controlled on the screen.

4. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

Try this: go to a Carphone Warehouse, or similar - ALL the phones sold via those places are SIM unlocked, as they never know which plan one will be sold with, and it's not economically viable to have three different lots of a mobile in stock for three different networks.

Find a 3G phone you like in the PAYG range, make sure it is compatible with your SIM, and buy it. You will have to cough up for some credit, but you could sell that on to someone with a PAYG on that network, or just not worry about it.

I got my two previous phones that way (on advice from their sales staff!), saved about half on their base cost or for an unlocked version. My current one I actually got off Amazon, though, as I couldn't find it on the high street for less.

5. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

It's the buying of credit which I find slightly galling to be honest. I went into the 3 shop to buy a basic phone and although I'm with them paying £16/month and was prepared to pay out for a handset on which I could receive calls they still insisted I'd have to buy £15 credit. I can't give the number out to anyone because I can't receive calls on it. It hangs up if you try to take a call - a known fault if you check the internet. As soon as this contract term ends I'm never going near 3 again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice