Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

mixing wet and dry dog food .. is it ok?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by victoriaj, May 31, 2010.

1. victoriaj

victoriaj PetForums Member

hi, i have started putting a third of a tray of naturediet in with duffy's kibble. she is on skinners duck and rice. i lowered her kibble by 20g.

i just thought she might like a bit of meat in with it rather than just the dry kibble.

do any of you do this and is it ok to mix the two together? :confused:

2. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Everyone I know with dogs does it, I did it before changing to raw. I can't see any harm in it given that you've adjusted the kibble to compensate.

3. BenjisMum

BenjisMum PetForums Newbie

I feed Benji James Wellbeloved kibble and put half a sachet on his morning biscuits and half on his evening biscuits - I also reduce his kibble.

I think it's fine as long as you reduce the amount of dry food so that they're not getting too much as both foods are complete

4. victoriaj

thanks guys :)

she got so excited when she smelt it this morning and judging by how quickly she ate it i think she enjoyed it too!!:thumbup:

5. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Mine have kibble (greyhound food) and raw chicken mixed in.

6. billyhutchy

billyhutchy PetForums Junior

mine has always had iams n wet butchers

7. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

It depends who you talk to :rolleyes:

Personally, I see absolutely no reason why they shouldn't be mixed providing your dog's condition doesn't suffer from it, your dog isn't putting on excessive amounts of weight, or having tummy problems from the mix. (oh and of course, you can afford it, as ND isn't the cheapest food on the market. ;)

I raise my pups with dried food as a base, but add all sorts of weird and wonderful things from raw and cooked meats to rice pudding to fish to Nature diet and I do tend to find their constitutions are stronger than those pups I've had raised solely on dried foods.

8. victoriaj

i agree it isn't cheap but i figured because the skinners is so reasonably priced i would spend a bit more on the wet food as the meat content in the skinners is not that high

9. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

We add raw meat and tripe mince or sardines or nature diet to our kibble - ours really don't like the biscuits on their own.

Some people do say though that they shouldn't be fed together. I can't remember which way round it is but kibble and meat digest at different rates.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice