Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

mixing groups

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Sergeant.Floyd.Pepper, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Sergeant.Floyd.Pepper

Sergeant.Floyd.Pepper PetForums Member

ok - think i know the answer to this but i will ask anyway....

combining groups of gerbils - is this a safer thing to do as its not 'one-to-one' or is this asking for huge trouble?

they have been next door to each other and also swapped over in others cages...

we have a mammoth new cage which is 120cm long and a lot of burrowing spaces...

if you all say don't even go there i will respect that.

2. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I had gerbils as a kid.. and in big cages.. some were in groups some were solitary

3. purple_x

purple_x PetForums VIP

I think as long as you have done the split cage method and they are all fine with each other then I dont think it matters if you're introducing 2 gerbils or a group.

I could be wrong though, so hopefully someone that knows for sure can tell you.

4. Truckle

Truckle PetForums Junior

Hi

Are the gerbils all female or all male ? and how old are they ? Its easier to bond them when they are young and when there is just a pair. I managed it fine with two brothers from separate litters. However I had problems with two females. Females are alot harder to bond with eachother and should only be kept in pairs. Anymore than two females and there is a strong possibilty at some point in theirs lives a fight will break out between them over dominence. Males can live in groups of two or more.

5. Sergeant.Floyd.Pepper

thanks its to boys abou a year old and two youngsters about 12 weeks old.

We wanted to put them all into a zooplus 2.

6. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Will you be using the split cage method to bond them? Apparently each group will have a dominant gerbil and thats where you might have problems, although if they are only youngsters it might work, I think with boys it would be worth a try if you do the side swapping for several weeks then when you remove the cage divider you are ready just in case anything happens and have someone watching the cage for the first day to watch their body language.

7. Sergeant.Floyd.Pepper

are the porblems likely to be only in the first couple of days or would they occur a week later possibly?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice