Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

mixing good/bad food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by simonsays, May 7, 2010.

1. simonsays

simonsays Banned

im feeding my dogs csj champ dog food because its the best quality food i can afford, i was just wondering is it ok to mix in some tesco brand wet food to get them to eat, i know tesco brand food is bad but i just mix in a little so they eat the champ otherwise they just pick at it all day does anybody else do this

2. Broxi_jim

Broxi_jim PetForums Senior

Try adding a little bit of boiling water to release the flavours !!
    Wait till it cools then give them it..

Works with my dogs

3. mitch4

mitch4 PetForums VIP

try tinned chappie cheaper than tescos own and better quality :thumbup:

4. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Hi,my lot are also on CSJ.Be a little careful adding too many yummy things,they may decide they prefer the added stuff to the csj!! and become fussy eaters.
    You could (bit cheeky really) ask csj for some samples of their other foods and add a few kibble bits to their usual food,adding water does also help as it releases all the smells and flavours.You could use sample bags of any other foods to add a sneaky treat or flavour!!

5. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

I mix Bobs Arden Grange with a few forkfulls of Butchers, same with Trix & her Autarky Light, Gem just has Butchers & mixer as nothing will get her to eat dry food

6. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

It's difficult to know what to advise - they are all so different.
    Heidi wont touch hers if its wet.
    Someone mentioned to me microwaving the kibble for a few secs will release the flavours but that didnt make any difference for us.
    I tried the "adding a bit of this and a bit of that" but it just made things worse and she would eat "this" and "that" and leave the kibble. Then I tried lots of different foods but she would eat it for a while and then refuse because she had worked out that I will try something else and that may be better!!:eek:One big vicious circle that ended up with her having a poorly tum.
    Long story short, I went back on the original food. Put down her days quota in the morning and left it. When she was hungry she ate it and that is how we continued until she was ready for adult food.
    I did my research, dwindled the foods down to 3 I thought best, got samples and let her try. She chose the one I least expected but has been on it for 5 months and eats every bit daily with no encouragement.
    Personally I feel it's great to have found a food that she really likes and it gives me pleasure to see her enjoying it so much instead of eating it reluctantly.
    Hope you find something that works.

7. Henry52

Henry52 PetForums Newbie

have you tried Vitalin complete food? It's much cheaper than some of the bigger brands but I certainly wouldn't class it asl "bad" food. My dogs prefer it to butchers and pedigree chum foods. Also luxurypetstore.co.uk are offering free samples.

8. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

The ingredients in CSJ look great for the price. It amazes me people will feed the likes of wagg, bakers, pedigree etc when you can get the likes of CSJ cheaper.

Mine are the same, not fond of dry on its own. I mix in a few spoon fulls of prize choice mince and add a little warm water. It's about £3 for a 2 kg bag at pets at home, keep it in the freezer and defrost a few days worth at a time. It'll work out cheaper than the tinned stuff because the 2kg bag will last about a month if you use it this way.

And it has the added benifit of being 100% meat, no crap or fillers at all. So it'll also bump up the meat content of your dogs food.

#8 Lyceum, May 9, 2010
    Last edited: May 9, 2010
  9. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

If mixing with water use warm water not boiling as it will kill the vitamins

10. myra

myra PetForums Newbie

my shep wont eat dry food if in his bowl but put a handful on his bed and he loves it. but will eat his wet food out the bowl no problem , will only eat tesco own or pedigree chum wont eat butchers chappie pal .
    myra

11. BubsyBear

BubsyBear PetForums Member

I mix a little wet food in with Tribs' dry. I don't see the harm in it as she's getting all the stuff she needs from her main food, its just a little extra to get her to eat it and because I'm trying to put some weight on her. She wolfs the lot down :) Whatever works I guess.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice