Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Mixing existing cat with a kitten, opinions please! :)

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Diana585, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Diana585

Diana585 PetForums Newbie

Hello,

If you could give me your views that would be great!

I have a male cat, not too sure how old as he was stray, had him for about 8 years now, but i'm guessing he is around 13 yrs old, and has been neutered.

He is really really territorial, the sight of ANY dog and he'll just go after it, people walking past the window and he'll start to growl. And God help any cat should it wander in the garden, he is out like a flash chasing it away! Saying that he is such a gorgeous cat and I do feel protected by him.

Anyway with that in mind, how do you think he would react if i were to bring a kitten home? I would love to have one but just have no idea how he would react to it.

also when he turned up on our doorstep we already had a female cat at the time (she died a couple of years ago) and he always knew she was here first and never attacked her, except for a playful chase. If anything, she used to go for him, but he knew it was her home first and respected that.

Any opinions would be great, thanks. :001_smile:

2. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Hi there,

Firstly, Welcome to the forum and I am sorry that it has taken a while for someone to reply to you. :(

It is really difficult to gauge how your boy will react - some cats ARE very territorial and just will not allow any other cats on their patch. My Oscar will give it out to any other cats that come into the garden and even to cats sitting in their OWN garden. He tolerates Merson, my other cat, being around but he would be quite happy being a solitary cat.

If you have really got your heart set on getting a kitten then I think you might be better off getting a girl, she wouldn't be considered so much of a threat, you would need to introduce them VERY, VERY slowly - make sure you don't leave them alone together unattended for a couple of weeks at least - and you should probably get a few Feliway plug-ins to help keep the atmosphere calm.

Ironically, he would perceive the kitten as being less of a threat to his patch than if you were to get a slightly maturer cat of about 2 or 3 years old.

There are lots of peeps on here with good experience of these things so hopefully someone else will be along soon with some more advice and handy tips. :)

3. Diana585

Diana585 PetForums Newbie

Hi,

Thank you for that! and for the welcome :001_smile:

4. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

No problem at all. Nice to have you on board, the more the merrier.

Also, feel free to post up some pics of your furry dude - we just LURVE piccies around here. :D

5. catbird8

catbird8 PetForums Member

lots of time a patience!!! my boy eddy is verry territirial but never attacks the other 3 :001_smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice