Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Mixing dry food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Sarah-p1, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Sarah-p1

Sarah-p1 PetForums Member

Hi all!

we are still waiting for our delivery from fetch..ordered about 10 days ago! As I didn’t have enough left to keep him going I started mixing it with a bag of step up to naturals I had lying around! He has got a sensitive tum, has soft stools & then starts having trouble with his anal glands..so I am limited to what I can give him, he seems to be doing well on the 2 foods being mixed, good firm poos, so I have brought another bag of the step up to naturals incase my fetch delivery doesn’t turn up, if it does am I alright to mix the two? I know mixing wet and dry is fine I’m just wondering if mixing 2 different dry foods is ok? :)

Torin. likes this.
  2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Yes, it should be fine. The problems start because our gut bacteria do a lot of digestion for us. If they are used to only one thing, throwing new ingredients at them suddenly means they can't digest it. But if you are already mixing, they will have started to adapt so you can carry on with either, or both.

I think @Torin. suggested it was better to feed one brand in one meal, and the other in a different meal, rather than mixing the two in every meal but I don't remember why.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Sarah-p1

Thanks for reply! I have been mixing incase we have give him 100% step up to naturals if the skinners doesn’t turn up in the next day or 2, I don’t really want to order another bag because I haven’t really got anywhere to store 45kg of dog food :Hilarious Feeding them in two different meals makes sense, I will look at doing that when/if my fetch order is delivered

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I've mixed dry food for years. Usually something good with something cheaper - take scoops out of the bags and alternate them into a food storage bin.. Never a problem.

5. Sarah-p1

Fab, Thank you!

6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I had an email from Fetch this morning saying they were closed until further notice; odd as I only ever ordered from them once, years ago.

7. Sarah-p1

They did stop taking new orders for a few days, doesn’t seem to have helped though they still haven’t delivered the orders they already had. I use them regularly but I’m afraid I won’t be using them anymore.

8. Duggee

Duggee PetForums Junior

I think Fetch have been overwhelmed with orders recently. I got the email a couple of days ago that they were shutting down, then today I received one saying they’re back up and running, but if your order isn’t being delivered with an Ocado delivery, it may take time as they use couriers like dpd. Hopefully your order will make an appearance soon.

Sarah-p1 likes this.
  9. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Cadvan gets two different kibbles as his "normal food". I'm not switching from one to the other, just using them both as his normal, feeding different ratios of each depending on what we're doing that day in terms of exercise and training. One is bigger pieces with high protein and fat levels, one is small bite with more normal levels. Both are wheat-free and fish based. Working much better for him than either one alone or any of the other single kibble foods we've tried.

A lot of people actively do this for other reasons too. For example keeping the gut biome broad, or the thing where every commercial food will suit x dog less well in y way because all dogs are different, and so one food can cover the disadvantages of the other. That's essentially the reason I'm doing two for.

I don't personally do it in any sort of specific way for what food is fed when though. Well, big kibble for breakfast in a bowl, and little kibble before bed. And then it depends for everything else, and the answer isn't always based on nutrition!

For changing over, it's easier to monitor poo output and farting levels if those have previously been a concern for your individual dog. Also my brain finds it sliiiiightly easier to keep the introduction slow (again, not all dogs need that) if you're doing it that way; slowly changing over one meal and then the next and then the next.

JoanneF likes this.
  10. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Mine have wet as two meals but have kibble on the go all the time and at the moment are getting 2 different sorts so I just put a bit of each in the bowl. Toffee is getting 2 different tinned foods mixed in each meal and Candy is getting home cooked turkey mince and rice with a bit of a different tinned food so a lot of mixing here! At long last I have both dogs well balanced and doing better poos so something is working.

11. Sarah-p1

Thanks all! If the skinners doesn’t turn up in the next day or 2 he will have to go on to 100% step up to naturals anyway, I managed to get a 14kg bag of that just incase. He has got such a sensitive stomach he can’t have most dog treats without an exploding rear end :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice