Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Misted windows

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by witchyone, Sep 10, 2013.

1. witchyone

witchyone PetForums VIP

I have two double glazed windows that have misted up inside between the two panes and look awful. I have had a quote from a window company that instead of replacing the windows drill two very small holes in the glass, put in a cleaning solution and then fit two small valves in the drilled holes. This they claim has a 99% success rate. The frames are fine and don't need replacing.

Just wondering if anyone has had this done and did it work ? I need to get the windows sorted but trying to keep costs down and not have to have the glass replaced.

2. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

Not had that done, didn't know it was possible.
    We had the glass replaced in ours. We had two that misted up. Living room & kitchen. Didn't cost that much as we had the firm who originally replaced the single glazed windows back to do them. OH said it was around £200 for both windows. That was recently as well.
    Looks as if the other living room one is going the same way.

3. witchyone

witchyone PetForums VIP

These are two bay leaded windows so will cost a fair bit to replace :( Just trying to find a cheaper alternative. I have Googled this process and seems quite effective but would like to hear from someone that has actually had it done before I commit to it. They have said if it dosnt I can have the glass replaced but deduct the cost of the de-misting process.

4. Grace_Lily

Grace_Lily PetForums VIP

Sorry haven't heard of that but also interested about how effective it is. Almost every window here is blown and the quotes have just started coming in to have the glass replaced.

5. Etienne

Etienne Dad to Puss and Shadow

It seems this process is becoming more poplar now and there is a lot to be said for it. Nowhere near as good as replacing the units but a fraction of the price.

If it works what time guarantee do they give?

A sealed unit should have a ten year guarantee

6. witchyone

witchyone PetForums VIP

They have said they will not be quite as good as new but it will be a vast improvement. One of my windows has started to go white and they said that once that happens it will be harder to clean. The others arnt too bad but need doing as every time I look out of the windows it looks like its been raining :eek:
    My windows are over ten years old now. Its not the seals that have gone when this happens but the silicone in the seals just cant absorb anymore moisture. These two windows that are affected get the full force of the mid day sun, the others are ok.

7. witchyone

witchyone PetForums VIP

Try Googling Mist be gone.

8. rose

rose PetForums VIP

sounds good but if the problem is the seal has failed, surely the mist will happen again?

9. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

Most double glazed units are filled with a special gas to make them more efficient. When the seals go on a unit I have always just reaplaced them at a cost of around £100 per standard sized window pane.

I've never heard of the method you discribe but it does make sense. How much are they charging and what guarantee are they giving you?

Personally if you installed the windows I would check the guarantees and even if there are none I would try to find out who installed them.

The stick on lead is not an expensive finish in comparison to old ledaded lights. I would get a few quotes to replace the panes.

#9 emzybabe, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  10. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

That's what we paid so I guess the glazing company did the same thing.
    Windows are crystal clear now.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice