Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Missing Indoor Kitty

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by accdvipond, Apr 15, 2011.

1. accdvipond

accdvipond PetForums Junior

Hi all
    I am besides myself with worry, my indoor only cat has gone missing, we left the door open accidentally and she's gone :( I have put posters everywhere, searched high and low all night and stayed up during the night with the door open in case she came home. Can anyone give me any more advice? I am thinking about getting a humane trap but not sure where I can get 1 from>?? I have read that she will be in 'scared mode' and hidden somewhere - is this true?? and why does she not respond to my calls!!Please help - absolutely devastated cat mummy!

2. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

Another one!! These cats sure know how to worry us!!

There is a very good sticky thread by Kelly-Joy at the top of this forum that explains what to do when you lose a cat. Have a read through that.

Good luck in your search x

3. firstprincess

firstprincess PetForums Member

This happened to my british shorthair last year, she was gone for 9 days. We searched high and low, night and day. Knocked on doors, phoned local businesses, stopped cars and put up posters and called all cat rescues, the dog warden and local vets fearing the worst.

Then when I had given up all hope my little Heidi appeared looking skinny and bedragled. She must have been hiding somewhere and then finally founc the courage to get home. I know its horrible, heartbreaking but dont give up hope. Call local vets and knock on doors.

Huggles xxxx

4. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Puss - please put your homing beacon on xxx

Keeping fingers and paws crossed, hopefully, she just got spoked a bit and is hiding quite near you xxx

5. Erzs

Erzs PetForums Member

Oh no =[ I'm going through exactly the same thing right now.

Have you called the RSPCA? Both nationwide and local, also the cats protection, local vets, and (as horrible as it sounds, I've had to do it) the council to find out if any cat has been knocked down? Usually by calling one of these they'll set you off on your way on who to call next.

Also if you haven't yet get onto your neighbours. Some can be really helpful, not all mind, but some. She might have gone and hidden in someones shed, or greenhouse or the like.

Is she neutured? If not you might get lucky in hearing her calling.

All the best I hope we both have positive outcomes. I'll let you know if I find anything useful to us missing kitty folk!

P.S Also put a poster in your window if you haven't yet. People are dead nosey and if they are gonna look anywhere it's in someones window!

6. honeysmummy

honeysmummy PetForums VIP

I feel for you so much...really good advice has been given to you...will be sending all my positive thoughts to you and Erzs now...dont give up xxx

7. honeysmummy

Hi....we have had good news from Erzs today...hoping your fur baby has come home as well xx

8. GingerHound

GingerHound PetForums Member

Our cat went missing for a few days - we thought she had gone for good and were devastated, until she turned up hungry several days later. We think she got locked in someone's garage, or similar. After that we bought a Loc8ter tracking device and it works a treat. The main thing is it gives you peace of mind that if the cat is nearby you can find her.

Good luck and I hope your cat turns up safe and sound.

9. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Just checking in to see if she wandered back in. X

10. Erzs

Erzs PetForums Member

Hoping your cat is back home with you. =]

11. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

fingers crossed little kitty has now come home,xx:)

12. honeysmummy

I know ..its gone really quiet...hoping OP cat is back safe and sound.

13. accdvipond

Hi all
    Still no luck... There are posters everywhere and all my neighbours have been really helpful. We stayed up most the night all weekend and no luck :(
    I rang the council (horrible) to see if ther ehad been any reports of run over kittys and nothing in the week she went missing.
    She has been gone for 6 full nights now and nobody has even caught a glimpse of her.
    I just hope she is either hiding and will pluck up the courage to come home soon or some other cat lover has offered her a better deal with chicken and steak on the menu!
    Its still heart breaking and I am praying every single day that she will come home, even her sister is crying at the door for her :(
    thanks for all your kind words - its good to know that you're not alone and there are some decent people in the world still!!
    A hopeful kitten mummy!xxx

14. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

Dont give up hope xx

Fingers and paws crossed here for a safe return xx

15. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

You poor thing, you must be feeling so bad right now. At least you are doing everything you can to find her.

I really hope you get her back home soon. Fingers & paws crossed here for you too.

16. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Just had a thought - have any of your neighbours, or people close by that you may not know so well, gone on holiday? Are you aware of any empty houses close by?

I'm thinking that it could be a possibility that in her fear, she has run into a house she thought might be her own and the unsuspecting owners have gone off for a break without knowing she was hiding in their laundry / under bed/ in a cupboard....

I am convinced that this happened to Merson the first time he went awol. Last seen on a Thursday night, next seen on a Monday night. Exactly right for someone's weekend away..... :confused:

17. Kitty_pig

Kitty_pig PetForums VIP

Hope you find her soon xxx

18. accdvipond

where i live is a back to back terraced that is set up high with a balcony accross the front of all the houses so we are all pretty close and talk a lot. they have all looked in their houses and the lady next door but 1 spotted her the night she went missing sitting on her window sil, she also went into her house but bolted when she saw the other cat!! No one has gone on holiday on my row but thanks for the idea.
    I truly belive she is hiding somewhere but it's just a case of her coming out!! I left some food out on the window sil last night and it was gone in the morning but that could have been any cat!!
    I am going to Tesco today to buy some strong smelling fish for her!! so hopefully this will coax her out!
    It's just so frustrating...if only i could catch a quick glimpse so i knew she was ok it would set my mind at ease!! I literally can't think of anything else 24/7!! :cryin:

19. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

I live in terraced housing too. It's like a big rectangle with all the gardens pointing into the middle.

I have been through this scenario THREE times!!! :mad:

I didn't put posters up tho', I put a 'poster / flyer' through every single letterbox going right around the block. Whilst doing this, I would also stop people in the street and stick a picture of the cat in question under their nose. I had all the kids in the area looking out for the cats - the promise of a sweetie or Ice-lolly to the kid who found it worked VERY well!! :)

On each occasion, the cat-culprit in question returned home.

Just passing this on as a/ it might be something else you can try & b/ to give you hope for a positive outcome.

Good luck & still thinking of you.

(((HUGS)))

20. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Good luck. I hope you find her soon. Is it possible she was calling and gone off to find herself a boyfriend? just a suggestion- know nothing about cats I hope she comes home soon :)

((((hugs))))

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice