Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Missing Indoor Cat :(

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Rae12345, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Rae12345

Rae12345 PetForums Junior

Hi everyone,
    I just don’t know what to do, I thought maybe you guys might be able to offer some advice or hope.
    My indoor cat went missing early morning yesterday (Saturday) and we haven’t seen her since. We’ve walked everywhere we can think of shouting her, stuck posters and talked to the neighbours to watch out for her, but I’m feeling so hopeless. She’s not the brightest little cat and would no way be able to survive outside, she must be absolutely terrified, lost somewhere. I just don’t know how she’d ever find her way back home and we’re having no luck shouting for her :’( I just can’t imagine how I’m ever going to get her back. We’ve done everything we can think of, sprinkle used litter around, go out and shake treat packets all the time, leave her things outside, but there’s been no sign of her at all, not even a single sighting from a neighbour. I’m just so so scared she’s gone :’( has anyone else ever lost an indoor cat? What did you do and did they come back? Thank you everyone

2. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Hi,
    I never had this myself but have heard it is good, especially if the cat may be shy and hide to ask neighbors to check sheds and garages. Also best if they will allow you to look as well. Sometimes cats can get trapped in outbuildings.
    Leaving litter and other items out is good.
    Putting up posters and online lost info.
    Call local vets and rescues to see if she has turned up at one.
    Hope you find her soon.

TriTri likes this.
  3. Rae12345

Thank you for the reply, we’ve been asking the neighbours to check but we’re going to go door to door tomorrow too, and ring the vets. Thanks again

TriTri and Summercat like this.
  4. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Do you know how she got out? Are you absolutely certain there's no where indoors she could have got stuck, it has happened. She's most likely not gone far if she hasn't been out before, they can sit for hours under shrubs etc. Have a look online and see if your local Cats Protection has a lost/found section on their website which you can add to, lots of cat people look at these. I'm sure she will come back shortly.

TriTri likes this.
  5. Rae12345

She has :( she would’ve been meowing for food by now if she was stuck in the house. My dad was loading up the van for a weekend away we were supposed to be going on and we think she mustve slipped out past him since he was in and out of the house. Thank you for the reply, we have posted on a lost and found group but we’re going to post of some more. Thank you again

TriTri likes this.
  6. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

I’m so sorry but don’t despair yet she could well be close by. It might have been a better idea to go door to door today as more likely people will be home. Late at night or very early morning is a good time to go looking as it’s quieter and she might respond if she doesn’t feel threatened by day time noise.i hope she’s home soon.

7. Rae12345

Thank you, thats true I wish we’d though of doing it today :( we’re going to make some posters asking people to check their gardens and garages and put them through doors too. Thank you, I really hope so :(

8. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

I think you can download a poster from here and register your cat missing. Keeping everything crossed she’s back home soon.
    https://www.petsreunited.com/

TriTri and Rae12345 like this.
  9. Charity

I know this is obvious but I suppose you've checked the van?

Calvine, Rae12345 and Soozi like this.
  10. Clairabella

Clairabella PetForums VIP

Definitely try late at night when it’s quiet or very early morning xx someone I know could hear her cat meowing for three nights after going out late at night to look for him and calling his name. Neighbours were adamant that they hadn’t seen the cat and that they had checked their sheds etc. Turned out the cat was two doors away the whole time xx keep knocking the neighbours xx keep asking them to check their sheds especially with this weather and everyone out in their gardens it’s so easily done to close the shed up with them in there xx

Calvine, Rae12345 and Soozi like this.
  11. Rae12345

For some reason I can't reply to comments individually, it keeps saying it's spam :( but thank you so much for all the advice and for giving me hope guys. We're not going to stop looking for her all day and all night. Thank you again

Soozi likes this.
  12. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Keep us updated and hope she is found soon.

Clairabella, Soozi and Rae12345 like this.
  13. Rae12345

Thank you, I will :(

Soozi likes this.
  14. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Sit outside very still and quiet at dawn and dusk. All the commotion is going to be frightening and confusing. If she is nearby watching. Just sit out there, speaking softly to her, even just reading aloud in a quiet voice. Keep some smelly food near you that you know she loves.

When she comes out just resist the urge to shout or jump up or try to grab her. Stay very still and let her come to you.

You might even try sleeping out there, if it's safe. I know someone who did that after their pet sitter let their indoor cat out and of course the cat disappeared. They slept outside on the deck in a sleeping bag and the cat's favorite blankie and woke to find the cat curled up with them.

Treaclesmum, Rae12345, AmsMam and 7 others like this.
  15. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

Sorry to hear your cat has gone missing. It is likely she is hiding somewhere if she's the nervous type, and some excellent advice here. Ask people close by if you can go with them to their garages sheds etc. If the cat is nervous, she may be afraid to come out if a stranger is there, or people might say they'll look and forget.
    I've also heard putting a cats dirty litter tray outside can help, as the scent is strong.
    Social media is great as well, as asking people to share your post can have a great effect.

Some useful advice here: https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/what-to-do-when-you-lose-a-cat.141450/

Rae12345 and Clairabella like this.
  16. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Also let your postman know too as they are often up and about at silly o’clock in the mornings. xxx

#16 Soozi, Jun 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Rae12345, lorilu and Clairabella like this.
  17. Clairabella

Clairabella PetForums VIP

Thinking of you xx

Rae12345 and Soozi like this.
  18. Charity

Rae12345 and Soozi like this.
  19. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Google Animal Search. It’s for lost and found cats /pets. I get alerts from them when cats go missing, as do many other people. So do pets located (as mentioned above and Cat Aware, but Cat Aware aren’t working at the moment). As mentioned earlier, some Cats Protection have lost and found websites. My cat went missing and was in my neighbours shed and the second time she went missing (the following day), she was in my other neighbours shed, as she is nosey. Mum’s cat was hiding in the garden for about 24 hrs. I doubt your cat has gone far. For a neighbours lost cat I downloaded small photos, making small notices, which I put through neighbours doors. It’s better to speak to people in person and ask them to look whilst you wait. You can often put notices up at vets and they keep lists too.
    Good luck and let us know when you find your dear cat.

Rae12345, Clairabella and Soozi like this.
  20. Rae12345

Thank you so, so much everyone for all the amazing help and kind messages. We found her tonight! We were driving looking for her and she was sitting the middle of the road, we couldn’t believe it. She’s thin and she’s so thirsty and hungry, we’re taking her to the vets ASAP, but I’m so happy she’s home. Thank you so much again everyone!!

James133, Matrod, Polly G and 21 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice