Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Missing his owner...

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by danandsam, Jan 30, 2012.

1. danandsam

danandsam PetForums Newbie

This is a bit of an epic story so I'll try to be as detailed as possible, without boring you all!

I work shifts for the fire service and last year moved home with parents, and my ten year old flat-coat Sam. Sam is completely blind after gradually losing his sight over the last 2-3 years.

In the last few months he has developed a bad habit of weeing and occasionally messing on the lounge carpet. However this only generally happens when I am on nights and he is left with my parents in the house. I sleep downstairs in a room next to the lounge and generally have him in with me overnight in his dog bed. However sometimes his snoring is so bad I have to put him in the lounge with his bed and he is generally happy as he knows I am just next door.

When I am on nights he used to sleep on the upstairs landing with all bedroom doors closed and this is when he will mess the lounge carpet. My parents have started having him in with them now as it stops his accidents.

I have had a vet check him over and tests are ongoing with the latest urine sample showing a small amount of blood in his wee. The vet now wants to examine his prostrate to see if this is causing him any issues.

I'm at my wits end as he now can't be trusted in the house and has ruined the carpet. With me wanting to move into rented accommodation in the near future I need to sort this problem asap.

I was considering crate training him to sleep in the lounge under the stairs every single night of the week, regardless of if I'm there or not.

Any advice on my predicament would be gratefully received. Many thanks for reading, please help!

2. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

am thinking that maybe he is unable to wake your parents to let them know he wants to go out (?)

if there is a prostrate problem then maybe he just cant hold onto his wee (?)

crate training him will certainly help in as much as you will know where he is but i fear that it may prove distressing for him after having free run of the house for so long. you would need to proceed very carefully and slowly to acclimatise him to his new surroundings, especially with his sight not being so good.

you may also find that the move from your parent's into your own place may make the problem worse for a while until he gets used to finding his way around. i would suggest, if possible, that he stay with your parents while you are at work and you only take him to your new place while you will be with him.

3. danandsam

danandsam PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the advice but it seems something more sinister is going on with Sammy.

I took for x-ray today and the vet has found lump in his abdomen. This is obviously the cause of his toilet problems. They are going to remove the lump on Friday and investigate as to whether it is cancerous or, fingers crossed, benign. So me and Sam just have to hope for the best and see what the outcome is.

The vet has said if they find that any cancer has spread then putting Sammy to sleep there and then would be the kindest thing to do. Your thought people..?

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

That must be hard to take - but yes, if it is cancer and has spread, it would be kinder for him not to wake up and suffer what could only be a painful and debilitating process.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice