Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Missing Cat for 2 Days!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by laurenjwri, Oct 17, 2020 at 7:53 PM.

1. laurenjwri

laurenjwri PetForums Newbie

Our little 8 month old cat went missing on Thursday and no one has seen him since and the whole family is very worried. I've read that male cats can go wandering for a couple of days at a time but with him being so young I'm very scared, he never strays far from our garden so to not have him back yet is really taking a toll on us all.

We've put up posters, posted in facebook groups, put familiar scents outside but still no sign of him. We've also walked a mile radius around the house and asked everyone down our road if they've seen him, nothing. We live in a village so are surrounded by fields and bushes, so I hope he's just having a good time hunting (as he regularly brings little mice back for us).

I've never seen my Dad as upset as this has been making him, and we're all struggling sleeping, as is our other cat. Should we be getting so worried so soon?

HE IS ALSO chipped and neutered!

#1 laurenjwri, Oct 17, 2020 at 7:53 PM
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 1:57 PM
  2. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I think its impossible not to worry when your cat comes home. If you have neighbours, he may be shut in a shed. Have you asked local vets and rescues? I think he is rather young to be out on his own, especially in the countryside but having said that he may just be going walkabout as the weather is still quite pleasant. Suggest you put his litter tray outside if you haven't already. I do hope he comes home soon.

laurenjwri likes this.
  3. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Is he neutered yet? If not its very common for them to go wandering for several days in search of a female, especially if they can pick up the scent of an unspayed female in the area. I would get him neutered ASAP as soon as he comes home, hopefully he is OK out there but there are so many dangers for young cats outdoors, even in the countryside.

laurenjwri likes this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@laurenjwri - if he is not neutered and not microchipped I would be very worried about allowing him out of the house tbh.

Un-neutered male cats can wander several miles looking for a female to mate with. Unfortunately they do not always find their way back home and they either become a stray or someone takes them in. We get a lot of un-neutered young male cats rescued as strays by the Shelter I volunteer with. It is rare for any of these young males to be microchipped and so it is impossible for us to trace their owners.

If your cat doesn't come back, contact all the Cat Rescues in a 5 mile area around your home and see if he has been rescued as a stray. Also contact all the local vets in case he has been injured and taken to a vet by a kind member of the public.

If you are lucky and he does come back, keep him indoors and don't let him out of the house for a month after he has been neutered. That is how long it would take for his hormone levels to fall (if he is not neutered already I mean).

5. laurenjwri

He is both neutered and microchipped! I should have included that in the original post, I think that's why we're stressing so much.

chillminx likes this.
  6. laurenjwri

He is neutered, has been for 2 months I think. We know there is a pond area nearby (less than a mile away) where many stray cats stay and are hoping he's gone there and is with them. He's very nosy and loves to be around other animals so I don't think it's out of the range of possibilities.

7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I am very relieved to hear this! :) Hopefully he hasn't gone far in that case.

Are you out looking for him, calling him repeatedly every day? Are you knocking on doors to ask neighbours to check their garages and sheds?

Someone must surely be feeding him, as it is now several days since he went missing...

I hope you find him - keep up the search every day, and don't lose heart. x

8. laurenjwri

We've found out that someone down our street had builders round on Thursday around the time Django went missing, and the builder lives a little further up the village. We're guessing he's climbed into the builders van as he's very nosy and curious and has been transported over there, not knowing where he is. Someone down the same street as the builder has told us that yesterday they saw a cat that looked exactly like Django sat on their hot tub cover, and said they had never seen it before. Everything we've heard seems to make sense, so we're hoping he's in that area and just has no idea how to get home.

We've been out looking but no sign of him, or any other cats. We've got our hopes on that area. Fingers crossed!

9. laurenjwri

Also, luckily, all the houses down the street we're hoping he is on back onto fields and are well away from any main roads. And if it is him, we can tell that he's not moving very far out of that area if he's been around there 2/3 days.

We left out cat carrier at someones house with some ham (his favourite) inside, and got a message from her saying she heard a cat in the carrier and rushed to see if it was him, but scared them off in the process. Hopefully he knows that there is food and warmth in that area now, and keeps going back. Praying!

chillminx likes this.
  10. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

A trap would be better than his carrier. You might be able to borrow one from a local rescue

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice