Hello. Ive made this account purely for advice on this topic as it is a bit niche. In May one of our indoor cats got out after moving home and all potential leads weren't too promising. He was neutered, microchipped, and well loved and socialised. He is a 3yo long black haired cat with red undertones and in some lights appears to have grey "tabby stripes" primarily he is solid black. As I said all possible sightings turned up null until a finder came forward with pictures 30 miles away where the family used to live. The cat is a dead ringer for our boy! Temperament wise is a dead on match. Fur and coat match. He is neutered. Even the fact that he doesn't meow only "squeaks". The finder was all too happy to reunite. Until the cat was taken to the vet and no microchip could be found. I know the chance of migration is low but the cat was also very malnourished and dehydrated in the heat. The finder got him microchipped against the vets advice and refused to have him put in a shelter against vets advice and has registered him as a "stray". Since then, a family member was in contact and went looking on the street for the cat, calling his name. Which attracted the attention of many neighbours. Without any luck as the cat was not able to be found again. Since that day, the finder has become resistant to say the least and has actively tried to convince us this is not our cat as apparently neighbours have now only just come forth (after the finder had put posters up for a few weeks prior to the family member actively searching) saying they have been looking after him since February. Now a lot of people may be thinking now "well this obviously isn't your cat" but anyone who had ever lost a cat, you *know* when you're seeing a picture of your baby. Our only ace in the hole is that we adopted this cat with his mother when he was a kitten as a bonded pair. So we decided to have a DNA profiling kit done at the vets to find out if the mother cat and this mystery cat have a relation. I have already paid for the kits and am waiting for them to arrive. The finder at first agreed to the tests but has become resistant again, talking about how they have already had offers to rehome him and to pretty much focus our efforts elsewhere. Our family need this DNA test as closure but the finder seems to have already made the excuse that them and their neighbours "might not be able to catch him" so it feels like they are actively now trying to pursue their own interests. Do we have any rights with this? If the neighbours have been feeding/loving this cat we believe to be ours, why had it taken them this long to get him the medical aid he needed? Why did it take someone actively calling out the cats name in the street to get them to come forward? Something doesn't feel right and it's breaking our hearts. If the DNA test proves he is not related to the mother cat then it is conclusive that he is not ours, then our main interest is him receiving a loving forever home. But you just know when you see your missing pet in photos. Any advice would be heavily appreciated as we have tried to do the right thing throughout.