Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Miss treated dog at boarding kennels

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Appledaddy, Jan 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Appledaddy

Appledaddy PetForums Newbie

So I'm unsure what to do we have just picked our 4 yr old shar pei up from boarding kennels.i had to put her in there due to my partner being in hospital and me being at work in the day logical thing to do.so I dropped her there Sunday afternoon we had snow that morning it was cold so I put her coat on now fast forward to this evening 5 full days later shes still wearing said coat i take it off its cut into her skin so much so there's blood! Is this right?[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

No that's not right, also what's going on with her back legs?
    Have you used these kennels before?

3. Appledaddy

Yes we have and upto now fine just really upset us seeing her tonight the way she was!

4. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Have you spoken to the folks at the kennels at all?

5. Appledaddy

Not yet thats going to be my first call in the morning!

6. Appledaddy

Also her backlegs don't normally look like that shes dropped so much furr ! I didn't recognise her ! Normally she is good there its just I don't understand why they left coat on for a week and allowed her to get into the state she is !

7. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I have replied on your other thread!

8. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

It's possible they didn't leave the coat on her that long. They may have been putting it on her when she went outside and taking it off, you really don't know until you have a conversation with them about it.

It could also be that they left the coat on for a week without checking to see how it fit and if it was rubbing anywhere which for sure would be something to discuss with them.

SharPeis are notorious for skin issues and yours is also blue which can also cause skin issues. It may be that the stress of the kennels or an environmental allergen (or a combination of factors) caused her skin to flare up and then with the coat not fitting well it exacerbated the skin issues she already had in the areas where the coat didn't fit right.
    Her back legs look like she's got something going on in her skin folds? I'd get her to the vet also to have a look at those legs, that looks pretty angry.

Both my dogs wear coats in the winter both for going outside and to sleep in on cold nights. To sleep in, my old guy wears a stretchy fleece with unfinished neck and leg holes so there's no seam to rub, those are IMO a much more comfortable design.

9. Appledaddy

Absolutely no way look at the way her fur is sat that has been on for days! Yes she has bad skin which we treat with apoquel tablets her skin was fine before she went in we really look after her skin and she was returned to us in this state

Attached Files:

#9 Appledaddy, Jan 30, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2021
  10. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I feel like a coat would have to be on really tight for that to happen.

I feel like this is more likely:

Although I would expect the kennels to have seen this starting and had a conversation with you about it.

Agree her back legs look nasty too - doesn't look like a skin issue which is under control.

O2.0 likes this.
  11. Appledaddy

So we have one person agree her coat shouldn't have been left on and that it was too tight so it obviously wasn't noted/checked oh yes we've had problems with her skin im not arguing about that im arguing about the marking

#11 Appledaddy, Jan 30, 2021
  12. Appledaddy

Before ! And after!

Attached Files:

13. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

That wasn't quite what I was saying. Yes it should have been checked but the coat was likely too tight (and you put it on) or ill-fitting. I was saying that it's likely a combination of the coat rubbing and her predisposition to skin problems that both contributed.

CheddarS, BlueJay and O2.0 like this.
  14. Appledaddy

Right for your information the coat fits fine ! It has adjustment parts ! That when I picked her up they was done up to the max! So no I'm not at fault! If you've got nothing helpful get of my thread as the pictures speak for themselves! You've really pissed me off our beautiful girl went in fine and I got her back marked and bleeding! Which you seem to think is fine yes she has skin allergies which we manage ! Thanks

#14 Appledaddy, Jan 30, 2021
  15. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

If when you picked her up her adjustable coat was adjusted too tightly, that suggests they took it off at least at one point and then put it back on again.
    I think you're better off just speaking to the kennels and asking them if they kept the coat on or not and if they noticed the skin issues and if they did, why they didn't contact you.

Jesus, just saw your latest post. Maybe don't contact the kennels until you calm down.

16. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I'm also an arsehole for explaining the problem with duplicate threads. We've had some fun threads lately, huh. (Obviously I'm not being serious, and I shouldn't need to explain that but I feel like it's a good idea!)

17. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Clearly you need to work on your people skills :p
    I mean it's not like you told someone they may not be suited for dog ownership or something :D

LinznMilly likes this.
  18. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

:Hilarious

No, I didn't do that, but I did suggest to someone they couldn't get their dog back after they had sold it. Must work on those social skills.

19. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Yes you did! How dare you state the obvious?!

I think we all need to go back to Miss Manners for forumlandia. Clearly we're failing miserably at any sort of meaningful communication :Woot

SusieRainbow and LinznMilly like this.
  20. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I'm sure there's probably a school in Switzerland for that - PF road trip! (Well, not for us!)

These threads just make you wonder why you bother. Poor mods sorting all the crap out.

ETA: Why am I getting all the hate here? You're just as guilty as me!

LinznMilly likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice