Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Miss Pei Face is poorly.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Magyarmum, May 26, 2019.

1. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I'm not sure whether she's cut the inside of her mouth or her tongue as she won't let me look. In any case with their fleshy chops it's almost impossible to examine a Pei's mouth.

Earlier in the week I noticed she wasn't her usual self and was sleeping a lot and not eating much, but thought it was because it's poured with rain most days, which she hates! It was only on Thursday I noticed the water in her bowl was tinged with pink and tried unsuccessfully to look into her mouth. The only thing I could see was that her teeth are dirty and her gums slightly inflamed, so I'm now thinking it could be gingivitis!

On Friday whipped quickly into the vet, who prescribed antibiotics and made an appointment for my lovely girl to have her teeth cleaned and her mouth thoroughly examined whilst under GA.

Now just worrying and praying it's nothing more serious.

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

When's her appointment? The antibiotics wil make her feel better in a few days, but did the vet give her anything for pain in the mean time? Only, she needs to eat, so a pain med might help her appetite.

Magyarmum likes this.
  3. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Does her breath smell unpleasant?

4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Poor Georgina. Hope it's nothing bad.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear this!

I am hoping it's teeth and gums. I say this because I have been quite religious especially with the minibeasts teeth and cleaning them as we all know toy breeds are notorious due to dentition for bad teeth. Due to being ill, I mean I could hardly brush my own teeth let alone the dogs when I could I did get blood on their toothbrushes. Now brushed regularly then then no blood..I take the idea from humans if you have blood on your tooth brush and know where it's coming from if you massage your gums with your tooth brush it brings out the infection. Told this year's and years ago by a dental hygienist, and my dentist agrees.

If she's chipped a tooth or there is some decay, then it could have caught her tongue.

Just to point out Eevee had her vaccinations the other day and the vet was really pleased with her weight and teeth. So there you go!

Magyarmum likes this.
  6. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Her appointment is Tuesday afternoon. I always keep Meloxidyl in the house and have been dosing her when I feel it's necessary. I cooked her chicken and vegetables last night which she ate without any problem.

At the moment she's sitting in the garden watching the world go by!

Her breath smelt awful on Thursday evening but yesterday and today is back to normal.

Good girl Eevee! When my two had their vacs last October my vet said their teeth could do with a clean - they're both nearly 6 years old!

Thinking back, she was eating grass earlier in the week and there's one type of grass with razor sharp edges and I'm wondering if she could have cut her mouth/tongue on that. I know when I was about 5 years old I cut my thumb deeply on a similar blade of grass and have the scar to prove it!

Thank you. The problem is that Pei are so prone to malignant tumours and all kind of nasty illnesses, it's easy to scare oneself to death! My lovely vet tells me off for being the ultimate pessimist where Georgina's concerned!

7. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Oh poor girl! Mouth sores hurt so much and are so hard to heal! Hope she’s feeling better soon.

Magyarmum and lullabydream like this.
  8. rottiepointerhouse

Sounds like the antibiotics have knocked out any infection for the time being anyway. Hope she gets on OK on Tuesday and its easily sorted.

lullabydream and Magyarmum like this.
  9. Rosie64

Rosie64 PetForums VIP

Hope she gets on ok on Tuesday and it is nothing worse than her teeth/gums that can be easily sorted

Magyarmum likes this.
  10. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

What a day we had yesterday!

Monday evening after having slept for most of the day Georgina perked up enough to eat quite a large dinner, but around half five Tuesday morning I woke to hear her being sick. Fortunately although she was sleeping on my bed it was her vet bed that fared the worst! Around 10 am she was sick again.

Because she'd been sick, our vet decided to cancel her teeth cleaning for another day. Instead she gave Georgina's mouth a thorough examination and yes she has stomatitis and a few ulcers and her teeth do need a good clean. Physically her temperature, pulse breathing and lymph nodes are normal and a abdominal palpitation wasn't painful.

She has however lost about 3 kgs in weight which is worrying. As a result it was decided to do a comprehensive series of blood tests to find out if there is any underlying cause(es) for her sore mouth and weight loss. My biggest fear is kidney failure which is something Pei are particularly prone to. Our vet will phone us with the results before the end of the week, so fingers crossed!

When we left home for the hour's drive to the vet the weather was hot and sunny, so I was only wearing pants and a long sleeved tee shirt. But, by the time we were most of the way back home the weather had changed and it had started to rain. Just as we drew up to my front gates the heavens opened and it bucketed down so that by the time I'd opened the gates, driven the car in and closed the gates behind me I was soaked to the skin!

And what did my two dogs do? The pair of them refused to get out of the car - they weren't going to get their paws wet! And that's where they stayed for an hour and a half until the storm was over and the rain had stopped. Apparently it's quite alright for hoomans to get wet through, but not four leggeds 'cos they're special!

Last night Georgina didn't want her dinner but did have some dehydrated chicken breast and a few bits of cheese, but must have sicked it up sometime during the night. She had a very restless night and despite it being 11 am is still asleep on my bed.

In a little while I'm going to make her some scrambled eggs and add a little mashed sardines in tomato sauce to see if that will stimulate her appetite. I'm not sure what else I can do???

11. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

Oh dear, what a day you had!
    Poor Georgina, I hope she feels better when she wakes up. It is such a worry when they're not well isn't it.
    Hopefully the blood results will come back and show there's nothing to be concerned about and the antibiotics and a nice tooth cleaning will solve the problem.
    Could she have lost some weight because her mouth has been a little sore and it's been a bit uncomfortable for her to eat?

12. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Poor thing, I'd be tempted to give her a very bland diet for a few days. Boiled chicken and rice maybe?

Hopefully the bloodwork will be back soon and give you some answers. I hope she perks up!

Lurcherlad and Magyarmum like this.
  13. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Oh poor Georgina and poor you!

Magyarmum likes this.
  14. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I hope you find out soon and have her back to normal. Hugs.

Magyarmum likes this.
  15. rottiepointerhouse

Poor Georgina she is going through the wars. Hope you get some answers and a plan for going forwards.

Magyarmum likes this.
  16. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Oh dear me!! Hope you soon get some answers and Georgina is back on the road to recovery.
    Take care.

Magyarmum likes this.
  17. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Fingers and paws crossed she’s feeling a bit brighter today and the results give some good news.

Magyarmum likes this.
  18. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Oh poor girl, hope she’s on the mend soon.

Magyarmum likes this.
  19. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Poor girl hope she ate some food for you fingers crossed here for the blood results:)

Magyarmum likes this.
  20. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

Don’t know how I missed this, I’m sorry Georgina isn’t well, I’ve got everything crossed it’s nothing serious & she feels better soon.

Magyarmum likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice