Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Misold breed?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SpringerHusky, Apr 6, 2011.

1. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

We met a lovely little puppy today, very sweet and simply adorable so was asking the questions and stuff like how old he was and such, he was 5 months old :D

I then told the owner I adored greyhounds and the owner said,"me too but they are too big for me that's why harry here is a whippet".

What the problem you ask? well Harry at 5 months is the same height as a fully grown whippet :blink: and he still looks like he's got some room to grow.

I tried to tell the man but he insisted Harry was a whippet :eek:

2. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

You may be a whippet x greyhound (then meaning he is infact a lurcher)

He may not grow much more though so who knows .

My greyhound was Short compared to other greyhounds even though she raced. we believe she was crossed with a whippet whcih gave her the shorter than a greyhound taller than a whippet but she was very much more greyhound (so in all respects my greyhound was classed as a lurcher)

But all this get complicated and only time will tell if the gentleman did in fact get a whippet or a greyhound.

3. SpringerHusky

He defiantly looks like he's got allot of growing but could be a whippet x greyhound, but then he's pretty big for a pup just turned 5 months :eek:

4. gorgeous

gorgeous PetForums VIP

Different breeds grow at different rates. Could be that a whippet is almost fully grown at 5 months. Greyhounds would be a lot taller at that age.

5. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I met a dally pup the other day. The owner wouldn't let him off as he was too boisterous.. Now Bobby is a GSD x Boxer so Id expect him to be of a good size.. :) he is 6 months now.. The dally towered over him at 5 months.Im not joking I could see it was a dally.. But the size of him.. did make me wonder needlessly.. even to me thinking.. maybe a harlequin Dane that was more spotty.. :lol: Anyway.. Depends on the breeding.. You get tall rotties your get short ones.. you get tall GSD's and shorter one.. I guess the same can be said for any breed..
    I met a beagle bitch the other day.. No taller than a small JR defo looked JR x Beagle i said isn't she so cute is she a jr x beagle.. He said no a full beagle he said she is nearly two so has some growing.. I smiled politely and said how lovely she was. :)
    If I see a dog in the street and get chatting.. I definitely wouldn't be trying to tell them it was not what they thought.. I don't see the point.. obviously they are happy with their dog

6. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

Phoenix is the same height now as he was at 6 months, so maybe he hasnt got that much more growing to do ;)

7. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

Keyus only a month or 2 older and only has about an inch to gain in height till shes as big as the other 2

8. morsel

morsel PetForums Senior

At six months old, unlike his siblings, my staffy was taller and heavier than the normal range for adult staffies. What about Wendy, the big whippet.

9. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

only time will tell i guess.

both my beagles reached their full height at 6months though, so maybe he isnt far off full size.

10. SpringerHusky

Thanks guys, he's defiantly the biggest whippet i've ever seen :eek:

11. momentofmadness

Im not joking hun.. you should of seen the daly I met the other day.. I could have suggested it was an appaloosa shetland.. :eek:

12. SpringerHusky

:eek: wow, haha.

I guess it goes for like Maya, she's so tiny compared to a normal malamute, i'll have to get a photo of her next to one someday :lol:

13. momentofmadness

LOL I reckon I could of got one of the old pony saddles out when its fully grown and popped me lad on it.. :lol: I can say when she said how old I did doubt this.. :eek:

I just did one of those big Really 's In a very surprised tone.. :)

14. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

At 5 months old a whippet could be almost fully grown. It could also be a show bred whippet they do tend to be a bit bigger than a racing bred whippet some 21" or more. My whippet bitches are 18.5" but my males are between 20 and 21".

A greyhound cross with a whippet would be a londog not a lurcher. A lurcher is a cross between a sight hound and a breed from a different group usually working or terriers, A sight hound crossed with another sight hound is a longdog.

15. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

My friend has show whippets and they are almost the same height as Phoenix who is 24"! So id say they are about 22/23"

16. SpringerHusky

Thanks, see shows my lack of knowledge :lol: I thought at 5 motnhs old like most breeds still had lots to grow by but I guess not, hehe. If I see him again some time later on i'll defiantly have to see.

17. momentofmadness

I keep hoping Bobby is fully grown at nearly 7 months.. :) I know I am so worng.. :lol: he isn't as big as the weims.. But he is as heavy.. and he has feet like shovels.. :lol: his feet are bigger than my two Weims.. And he is clumsy with them as well.. :rolleyes:

18. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

If she was tattooed and didn't race on a flapping track then she probably was a greyhound as i doubt they'd be much to gain on the track by trying to breed a small dog. Some dogs just are smaller (or bigger) than average, my friend has a tiny grey girl who weighs just 22kg, she did race although wasn't that successful so retired early.

19. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

22/23 is big even for a show whippet mine are show dogs and my biggest male is just under 21" the breed standard says 20" for a male although at crufts a few years ago we were stood next to a dog who was head and shoulders bigger than Owen.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice