Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Mismate jab

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Freyja, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

No lectures please as it was a complete accident but my 12 year old chihuahua started flirting with my spitz puppy. I have kept a close eye on her but she hasn't had a season for about 12months and showed no signs of being in season apart from flirting with Yogi.

Teddy had paid no interest in her and I was constantly checking her for swelling there was none nothing that would have made me susoect she was doing anything other than flirting and basically being the little tart we know she is. She always flirts with the boys even when not in season. She has been separated from my older boys just to make sure. But on this particular day Teddy was in the room as I was convinced there was no need to worry she was however on my knee having her lead put on. I dropped a lead and as I turned to pick it up she jumped down and Teddy was on her in a flash and they tied.

Now this is the problem obviously I am not going to let a 12 year old have pups but have spoken to the vet who says they recommend spaying her which I am not happy with due to her age. They have said the injection could cause her to have pyometra which would result in her being spayed anyway. I would prefer to wait have her scanned and just have the jab if she is pregnant the vet says it needs to be done as soon as she finishes her season.

I'm sure I have read it can be done until around day 40 but my vet says this is incorrect can someone in the know so to speak please advise me as I am not happy with what the vet has said

The misspelt heading is predictive text not me lol

#1 Freyja, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  2. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I had my 14 year old Dachshund spayed in October for metritis , the vet said the condition of her reproductive tract indicated an almost guaranteed full blown pyo sooner rather than later. She bounced back from it with no problems and is now fine making me wish we'd done it before.
    Personally I would go for the spay.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Your Vet may be reluctant to give the Mismate so late, given your bitch's age.

All things considered, I would be inclined to have her spayed.

Katalyst, Lurcherlad and SusieRainbow like this.
  4. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

I think a spay is probably safer. It’s a relatively simple procedure, and they will hopefully be in and out in a flash. Although not a girl, my 13yo westie has had several procedures done in his older years and come through them absolutely fine.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Animallover26

Animallover26 I am me.

The logical side of me would suggest spay, while of course there is the possibility that the mismate jab wouldn't result in pyo, the risk that it might and you'd have to put her through a spay anyway, makes me think just get the spay done then there are no worries.

6. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

12 years old really isn't that old for a Chihuahua anyway so I'd be inclined to follow your vets advise. If she's otherwise had no health complications prior to this then the risk of putting her under is very minimal.

Katalyst likes this.
  7. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

As said above 12 isn't old for a tiny breed so spaying shouldn't really be a problem unless she has other health issues. If the mismate jab is likely to cause pyo therefore meaning a spay anyway, I can't really see that there is any other choice? I don't see what the issue with spaying is anyway except the normal GA risks.

8. Wilmer

Wilmer PetForums Senior

I don't have the experience to say spay or mismate, but when my girl was spayed, I opted for keyhole surgery. Quick op, tiny incisions and very rapid recovery time. May be a good option if the thought of spay recovery worries you?

Burrowzig and Lurcherlad like this.
  9. blakesmum

blakesmum PetForums Junior

Hi Freya, I actually decided to use the Alizin injections to treat pyometra in my 12 year old Labrador bitch, rather than have here spayed. I too, wasn't happy due to her age. Obviously conflicting advice from your Vet and mine, but she was successfully treated after 3 injections and lived to the ripe old age of 14. Hope this helps :)

10. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

A few years ago she suffered from a collapsed trachea we were out on a walk when she literally just collapsed and started to go blue. It was only due the the quick reactions of a passer by that we saved her as I had 3 other chihuahuas with me and was struggling to get her collar off and hold the other dogs who were dancing about wandering what was going on which is one reason why I am not keen on putting her through an anaesthetic

11. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I prefer keyhole spays too, but what if she is already pregnant? Keyhole spays take the ovaries but leave the uterus (which might contain embryos). I don't know if a pregnancy would be sustained if the ovaries were removed but I'm not sure I'd be taking the risk.

Wilmer likes this.
  12. Wilmer

Wilmer PetForums Senior

Ah, I'd forgotten that bit. Yes, a bit pointless in the event of a pregnancy. Very interested in the concept that multiple mismate injections could resolve pyo - sounds like an interesting development for those with bitches too old/unwell for general anaesthetics.

13. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

You can use Alizin up to day 45 of pregnancy, however its better to use it on or before day 20 the reason for the best before is because later on the signs can be similar to whelping with expulsion of the puppies etc. before that they would likely just be reabsorbed. You can read more about the use of Alizin including contra indications and warnings on the link

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-459939

14. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

My vet told me about Alinzin being used to treat Pyo when surgery wasn't a good option, used along with high doses of antibiotics.We decidd to opt for the spay instead.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice