Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Minstrel has a heart murmur

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by LadyRedLainey, Aug 11, 2009.

1. LadyRedLainey

LadyRedLainey PetForums VIP

My husband took Minstrel to the vet to get his injections today (was meant to have been last week, but we had to change the appointment), and he got his first injection.

The vet said that he might have worms, so gave my husband powdered stuff to put in his food for over three days.
    But the vet also picked up a heart murmur he said that he is to small to do anything at the moment, and he does not know how serious the murmur is. So due to him having the heart murmur also having the fleas previously, the vet thinks that might have stunt his growth, he was also the runt of the litter

I am so upset at the moment, i was going to be taking him to the vet, but hubby said he would take him, i think if it were me i would have burst into tears.

I know i might be jumping the gun a bit, but what things can be done when he is older, if the murmur is serious?

Thanks if anyone can tell me what can be done, or even better, if it is something he can grow out of.

x

2. poshmog

poshmog PetForums Member

Try not to worry too much at the moment-my eldest cat (16) had same thing when he was younger ,but with tlc and good grub hes done ok .
    So just take it a day at a time like we did,oh and dont worry about him being the runt ,they have the habit of being proper little toughies :D

LadyRedLainey likes this.
  3. LadyRedLainey

Thanks very much for your reply, lovely to see the age of your cat to :thumbup:
    x

4. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear about Minstel Elaine:( Hopefully it is not too serious and something he grows out of or is able to be controlled.....big hugs for youxxxxx

5. nanamoo

nanamoo PetForums Member

sorry to hear about minstrel

i was told at menace's 2nd vacc's that he had a heart murmur (level 1) and that it was possible it was just caused by him growing and it would possibly sort itself out and not to worry about it(seemingly this happens a lot with small kittens), the vet said they want him back again in a month to re-check him and see if it has got any better or worse

menace is quite small for his age tho so he might of had his murmur since birth and being the runt also is a reason for his size but he is a happy lil thing :)

hopefully minstrel grows out of the murmur and it is nothing to worry about :)

if not as far as i know most murmur's are treatable and others dont need any treatment, but i think that depends on how serious the murmur is

lots of loves n purrs from menace to minstrel

6. LadyRedLainey

Thanks Suzy :) x

I hope you get good news when you go back to get him checked up *fingers crossed* hopefully they will both be fine

7. nanamoo

nanamoo PetForums Member

thanks, i hope so too and hope that minstrel gets the all clear the next time he is at the vets :)

luckily my vet didnt put it on his notes yet as his insurance hadnt kicked in, it was still in the 1st 14days when they dont cover for any illnesses, so that "if" the murmur did get worse he would be covered for treatment if it was needed, he is due back at the vets next week so should find out then

8. poshmog

poshmog PetForums Member

Forgot to mention that his name is Minstrall and he is black & white ,so lets hope thats a good omen for your baby xx

9. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear your fur baby has a heart murmur.
    We adopted a one year old last April and when i took him to be chipped the vet told me he has one too. Like you I was very upset.
    I took him back to the vets a couple of weeks later and the vet said it was still there and it was level 4/5 which i know is not great!
    He told me not to worry and only be concerned if he starts coughing and becomes out of breath. panting etc.
    Having looked a lot on this site there are quite a few people that have wrote in saying their cat has a murmur and the cat has reached old age.

So the way i look at things now is that he doesn't know he's got it.
    (He still runs around jumping 6 foot fences.)
    So he will have the best life that i can give him , lots of love and anything he needs!!:D
    I have also opened up a bank account for him just for in the future if he needs any medical help.

I hope this helps you to know that you are not on your own and try not too worry too much.

10. LadyRedLainey

Thank you both :)

Thanks very much :) it does sound promising with listening to how other peoples cats have been and the age they have reached to! :)
    i will try and not worry much, i think its the fact i had a feeling something was wrong, with him being so small, but he is very playful, and squabbles well lol with my other cat Jinxy.

Thanks again everyone x

11. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

Try not to worry to much Elaine i know it's easier said then done ... I know :( ((((BIG HUGS to you )))) you always know where i am if you want a chat xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

12. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

So Sorry about Mintrel Elaine..:( hope everything goes ok for him xxxx

13. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

i wish minstrell well i hope his heart murmer is not too serious

viv xx

14. LadyRedLainey

Thanks everyone :) x

15. JoWDC

JoWDC PetForums VIP

Sending positive vibes to Minstrel & hoping the murmer is only a minor one. As long as he acts like nothing is wrong with him thats the main thing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice